Critique University of Virginia Buildings

After living only two hours away from the University of Virginia for nearly 50 years, I finally made it there. It was such a special joy to visit its beautiful and historic Rotunda and Lawn designed by Thomas Jefferson.

Photo #1: South Side of Rotunda & Lawn
Mike 2019-08-09--274-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2: North Side of Rotunda
Mike 2019-08-09--281-S.jpg

Photo #3: Statue of Thomas Jefferson & North Side of Rotunda
(captured by my wife and post-processed by me)
Joellen 2019-08-09--185BW-S.jpg

Photo #4: Peabody Hall
Mike 2019-08-09--261-S.jpg

Photo #5: Alderman Library

Mike 2019-08-09--263-S.jpg

Excellent architectural series, Mike!
I find #1 & 3 to be really outstanding.

Beautiful b&w work overall as well!

Thank you to Bart and Nick!

the apparent time of day!

The clocks on the north and south sides of the Rotunda were working but were about ten minutes apart.

Monochrome can usually save a photo captured mid-day if the composition is at least okay. Due to the bad light, I knew before I began shooting that it would be a monochrome outing.

I very much enjoyed these...love the conversions!

The first is my favorite--excellent framing with the trees, straight lines, no people! When I visited about three years ago, there was some construction underway in front of this building which was quite disappointing.

I like the second one as well...I am left hoping to see just a little bit more at the bottom of the frame. There are some stairs visible, but it feels just a bit cramped to my eye. I'm sure there's a good reason for it...perhaps something not all that attractive just below that last step?

The third one is outstanding. Straight lines...and I like how the statue is to the side (adds depth to the image). Nicely done.

Four and five are nice images, too. The center lines are straight. I wish the lines on the edges were straight (the window panes and column on the far right in #4 and the column on the far right in #5). This is a matter of taste, of course. If those two pictures were mine, I would use the Perspective Crop Tool in Photoshop (I use CS5 still) to straighten those out...doesn't take very much time. But, perhaps having straight lines throughout would make the frames a little too sterile?

In any event, very enjoyable set and my comments are not meant to be critical at all...just hoping to provide some feedback to consider that might be of some use, particularly since the "Critique" button was applied to this set.

Glenn

Thanks for taking so much time to comment, Glenn!

The first is my favorite--no people!

Actually, there is one person on the terrace on the left.

I've got one image of it from a closer perspective that has people in it that enhance the image for me. I've got another image from a farther perspective with two people smack dab in the middle taking a picture with their cell phone. They don't enhance it for me but I haven't taken the time to remove them, as it would be my first try using Photoshop's newly enhanced clone tool.

the second one...I am left hoping to see just a little bit more at the bottom of the frame. There are some stairs visible, but it feels just a bit cramped to my eye.

Completely agreed. It was the best I could do at the time with my 35mm prime lens and in a rush with the Uber on the way to take our group to lunch.

The third one is outstanding.

My wife took that one. I'm always grateful when she does such a nice job, which is so very often.

Four and five...If those two pictures were mine, I would use the Perspective Crop Tool in Photoshop (I use CS5 still) to straighten those out

I used similar tools in Adobe Camera Raw with the grid overlaid for help. Once I get the center line straight, I sometimes have trouble getting the lines at the outer edges of the straight, especially with old buildings. Probably due mostly to inexperience, as I don't do much architectural photography.

Thanks again for such detailed comments!

Last edited:
Very well done, Mike. While I generally prefer color photos, I agree that monochrome is best for photos made in harsh light. This is more a matter of taste, but I would have processed for a bit less contrast.

It is curious that you should post these on the same day that Glenn Nagel posted photos of the Wren Building at William and Mary. I commented there that my daughter graduated from W&M and now I'll mention that my son graduated from the University of Virginia.

Latest threads

Top Bottom