Unknown Damsel

Spotted in Jersey in the Channel Isles last week.

I know of one or two visitors to these forums who will probably have an instant id :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My guess is that those are some fine shots of a beautiful female Lestes Sponsa. Also called a Common Spreadwing.

Very nice shots!

About the ID...There´re things that don´t match for L. sponsa

1) Pale sides of the tip of the abdomen
2) On thorax the lower green stipe´s shape does not match
3) On thorax the white stripe between green areas goes all the way through
and does not cut like it does on sponsa.
4) Very clearly bicoloured pterostigmas

Those all matches for L. barbarus though. So, that´s my guess :cool:

Hej Jukka. My thoughts too but the Lestes Barbarus is not supposed to live in England but the Channel Isles maybe? Actually I was about to correct my ID but you beat me too it.

Hi Counter!

L. barbarus has been seen in the Channel Isles since 1995. But I guess it does not do any harm to e-mail BDS about it. Atleast here we have two similar immigrant species (although both were confirmed to breed here the first time last summer) and all observations are very wellcome about those species and recorded by our society...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jukka, Torben and Rich.

I really struggled with an id but I knew you'd be interested and would know what it was.

I saw two specimens within half a mile or so and both on the coastal heathland. They were very tolerant of my camera and I could get very close so I have quite a few more shots to process.

I will contact the BDS and let you know what they say!

Looks like it was worth reporting!

Hi Laurence,

Many thanks for your message - your damselfly is indeed Lestes barbarus (a female). Over the last few years they have been recorded as breeding in Jersey at two different, but fairly adjacent, sites on the Island. Last year there were however no reports from one of these sites. Your findings are thus of great interest, and show that the species is still doing OK on Jersey. Is it alright if I forward details on to the guy who officially monitors dragonflies/damselflies in the Channel Islands?

Congratulations on your find, and thanks for everything,

Adrian
BDS Migrant Dragonfly Project
Thanks for the suggestion Jukka :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom