1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Unknown Damsel

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Counter, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Spotted in Jersey in the Channel Isles last week.

I know of one or two visitors to these forums who will probably have an instant id :smile:

334781168_yhRtp-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

334781219_YWr53-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. No use for ID, but these are great shots!

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    My guess is that those are some fine shots of a beautiful female Lestes Sponsa. Also called a Common Spreadwing.

4. Very nice shots!

About the ID...There´re things that don´t match for L. sponsa

1) Pale sides of the tip of the abdomen
    2) On thorax the lower green stipe´s shape does not match
    3) On thorax the white stripe between green areas goes all the way through
    and does not cut like it does on sponsa.
    4) Very clearly bicoloured pterostigmas

Those all matches for L. barbarus though. So, that´s my guess :cool: 

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hej Jukka. My thoughts too but the Lestes Barbarus is not supposed to live in England but the Channel Isles maybe? Actually I was about to correct my ID but you beat me too it.

6. Hej, Torben!

According to BDS pages it´s a Migrant/Vagrant and has been seen also in main land UK. Never the less, that´s quite a catch by Counter
    http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/lebar.html

7. Hi Counter!

L. barbarus has been seen in the Channel Isles since 1995. But I guess it does not do any harm to e-mail BDS about it. Atleast here we have two similar immigrant species (although both were confirmed to breed here the first time last summer) and all observations are very wellcome about those species and recorded by our society...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  8. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Thanks Jukka, Torben and Rich.

I really struggled with an id but I knew you'd be interested and would know what it was.

I saw two specimens within half a mile or so and both on the coastal heathland. They were very tolerant of my camera and I could get very close so I have quite a few more shots to process.

I will contact the BDS and let you know what they say!

9. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Looks like it was worth reporting!

Thanks for the suggestion Jukka :smile:

10. Great! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.