1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Critique Unknown fly ?Tachinid

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by billtils, Aug 10, 2018.

1. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    I've not seen one of these before. It looks like a Tachinid but at about an inch long it is larger than the usual visitors to the flowers here.

Big fly.
    NIKON D810    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR    420mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 500

The closest match I can find is Tachina fera.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. It sure looks like a Tachinid. I can' t help with i.d. as it seems from your avatar that you aren't in North America. I find most flies really ugly but the shot is good!

Larry

3. Fabulous image, Bill! Spectacular!

4. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Larry, we lived in FL for 12 years but retired back home to Scotland.

5. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks Mike.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Featured! Excellent image!

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
  8. Really excellent image.

9. Great shot!

10. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks everyone.

11. Stunning macro photo. The DOF is excellent.

12. The detail is outstanding. Well done.

13. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks eveyone for your kind comments.

I think that two factors helped here: I have been experimenting with the 300mmPF+TC 1.4 for close-ups and prefer it to the 90mm Tamron macro. It allows me to shoot from further away from the target insect and that helps in regard to (not) disturbing it. The second thing, specific to this image, is that this one was "bigger than your average fly"!

The decision to standardise on the 300mm combo was partly one of convenience as it lets me go on a bird shoot and capture any interesting bugs that happen to be around without having to switch lenses (the Tamron now stays home on those days, and is used for studio/still life and portrait work).

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow! Amazing. Great picture.

15. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks Seneca

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.