Unkown insect from the wood pile.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Sep 22, 2005.

1. The wife found this in the wood pile when she was cleaning up, and captured it to show me.

Its like a giant cricket but has no wings, I did some searching but haven't found an id for it.

The body is just over an inch long and the antenae are about four inches long, fills the palm of my hand with the legs, couldn't get a picture of it in my hand since it would run up my arm leap to my shoulder than jump off my back.:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The closet thing I could find to it are the Weta's of New Zealand, the ovipositor looks the same as the Weta, and the rest is similar.

Martin

2. Well it's ugly and armored with legs like a grasshopper. Looks like a pretty formidable bug but I wouldn't know what to call it.

3. Hi Martin!

That monster is a katydid. Looks very much like a female "Common Short-winged Katydid" (Dichopetala brevihastata).

Here's a site that's very helpful for ID-ing N-American Katydids:
    http://buzz.ifas.ufl.edu/katydids.htm

Cheers

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Martin,
    Do a Google search for "cave cricket". I suspect that you will find this to be a member of the camel cricket group, family Gryllacrididae. However, as to the species, one has to rely on an expert in that particular group. Very difficult to identify otherwise. Commonly found in (obviously) caves, but also under rotting logs, dark, damp places such as large knotholes in trees, even basements. Feed on plant remains and animal remains. Otherwise quite harmless (assuming you like bugs!).
    Nice pics!

5. Jerry, I stand corrected! :redface:

Actually, as a pro entomologist I should know better than to make rash identifications on superficial appearance. The species I named looks indeed very similar but even the female has rudimentary wings.

Anyway, nobody's perfect :wink:
    Cheers

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    No need to be redfaced, Harry, just thought I would throw the i.d. out and see if I could learn something. I have been nose to nose with these buggers a lot when plant collecting (mosses and lichens, mostly). You also introduced me to some katydids I didn't know existed--they would have fooled me entirely! More importantly is that hopefully both of our posts will be educational to our macro/micro friends here on the Cafe. I am absolutely certain that over time you will correct far, far more of my identifications than the one or two I may correct of yours.
    I am more imperfect than most!! :frown:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WELLLLLL

what ever it is :>))) they are great images :>))

Interesting looking bug.

I don't mind bugs.

Only spiders that bite and snakes.

8. Neat shots Martin...... you don't live really really close to a nuclear reactor do you....????? :wink:

9. Thanks for the ID Jerry and Harry, and for the comments.

I will have to make a little cave setup, she is a bit tricky to shoot since she tends to take off.

Martin

10. Very nice take, I don't remind having seen any of those.