Unless Nikon tells the world....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Lee, May 21, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    of an upgrade to the D200 before Thursday, I am going to order it before the May discount at B&H evaporates..since they are closed today and it still shows, I am assuming it will be there Thursday morning.

Since this will be the last piece of major equipment I buy, I think I've fried my brain evaluating it, the Fuji, and the "non-existant" Dhs. For the price and the features it will fit me perfectly.

Why is choosing so hard. I know what I need, yet it's almost painful to make the choice.

2. I just got a D200 to complement the X's. I'm very pleasantly surprised, great color sharpness and better ISO performance then the X. I think pound for pond so to say it is the best you can buy right now. Life is short, don't wait, there will always be new cameras, by them later if they are really worth it is my suggestion.

Only issue is battery life, get a second battery for sure.....

I like this one:
    [​IMG]

3. Maybe i'm missing something but wouldn't the Fuji S5 be a better choice? I assumed it was basically a half MP D200 (with a better sensor, and better noise) Just not as good of a buffer.

4. emidyl

emidyl

Jan 28, 2007
    GTA
    Guess it really depends on what he shoots. People, or more of a little of everything else. OP has compared S5 and the much anticipated D3H or whatever it's successor may be, so quite a range in terms of choice and intended usage.
    For "people" Fuji is great I hear for the skin tones, hence high wedding applications.
    The issue is speed fps and speed to write to card.

5. Jeff,

The D-200 is a great camera. I've had one for about a year and love it! The sooner you get it, the sooner you can start using it.....lol

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Fast frame rate was key for me. Everything else I shoot, my D70 does what I want. but about 50% of my shots are wildlife and the speed and the ability to crop the 10mp file is what made my choice.

7. sonton2003

sonton2003

Jan 9, 2006
    I have 2, I love them. I have a D70s as well but I hardly ever use it.

8. laawaaris

laawaaris Guest

isn't the Fuji S5 soft at high ISO?

9. From what I have seen of the samples, the S5 has its own set of compromises at high ISOs. It seems like a good bit of detail is lost at high ISOs on the S5. So if this is what you mean by "soft", I would agree. OTOH, the S5 has some of the best color at high ISOs.

10. Ciao Jeff

I have a D200 and I'm fully satisfied about it. Of course, if you shoot mostly portraits, and you need the utmost skin tones and DR, you should evaluate better the S5 or the D2Xs, but overall the D200 is a winner. You will have a solidly built camera with all what you need really at hands. And, despite what prices seem to show by decreasing day by day, D200 is REALLY an excellent camera, believe me. All the best.

11. Hey Jeff -

You and me both - LOL.

Eric

12. You are going to love your D200, I've mine since October and have many thousands of shots on it. It handles beautifully and produces terrific images. IMO it's the best DSLR out there for the the money.

13. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Now the pain is over, for the next 3 or 4 years, I gonna shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

One thing I am dreading is when my CP4500 and D70 die. Somehow I've become attached them, kinda like I was with my Nikkormat.

14. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I would chose a D200 over a Fuji S5 any day of the week ... thats excluding the price difference (which is significant itself). If the Fuji was $300 LESS than a D200, I'd still put my money on the D200.

Bill

15. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Hands down ... I just dumped my entire Canon kit in January for my D200/Nikkor kit and I haven't looked back at all. What an incredible camera for the money.

Bill

16. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Jeff and bill

I sold off 30+ years of Minolta in April to pay for my D200 and a few lenses. I really miss the Minolta ergonomics, but the D200 and SB800 beat Minolta out in all other aspects.

17. I own two as well. One I keep my 80-200 on and the other a 17-55 so it's a perfect combo. I shoot mainly photojournalism and thus far have been extremely happy with the D200's performance and durability. I've thought of a D2Xs and although I know it's a much better camera I can't think of a single reason to upgrade a camera that's fills my needs so well.

18. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I just love the feel.

19. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Well it arrived about 2 hours ago, Immediately shot a few just to make sure it works. Man the box and tape really looked bad, first time I've seen this from B&H. However the Nikon box and the stuff inside was fine.

Can hardly wait till the weekend the 5 shots I took with my 80-200 are just assume. Also I can tell that the screw drive is significantly stronger than on my D70, it is faster, but is the torque when that puppy hits focus that is the difference for me.

20. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Mine came in the same way. I emailed Henry Posner at B&H and let him know about the box. He had his warehouse manager contact me also. They can't control the box crunchers at UPS, but I think their boxes could be a little stronger. They do such a good job of padding that there was no interior damage on mine either.