Unopened Fuchsia Blossoms

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 12, 2005.

1. I was looking for mature blossoms, but when I saw these, I couldn't resist shooting them. Which version do you prefer?

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Both are good, but the black background is better.

3. Frank
    I like the background in the first image as it brings out a tad more detail in the buds and is a complimenting color (seems to be blended). Very nice BTW

4. I prefer the first one, all the parts of the plants look very smooth. It ressemble the drawing we see in those nice botanical books.

5. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I like the background in the first one. The pastel colors seems very soothing in the first shot. Was this shot indoors? Flash?

6. It's a table top shot, Jay. The blossom was in a light tent. The background is actually a Photoshop gradient.

7. Frank,

I really like the first one. Background is just amazing. 2nd one looks a bit "fakish" to me.

8. Both are very nice, as usual with your frames... :smile: ...I'd have to lean towards #1 though

9. My vote goes for the black background. On a light background, eyes are drawn to the darkest part first (leaves). On a dark background, eyes are drawn to the lightest part first (blooms). So it depends what your intended center of interest is in the photo. I assume the blossoms, so my vote is for the black. :)

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    My vote is for #2. I like how it brings out the color of the unopened blossom. But I agree that the first looks like it could be a sketch from a botanical book. Nice job. Can't wait to see once it's opened.

11. Thank you all for your critiques!

12. hawkbug

hawkbug Guest

I like the first one. It feels warmer and less stark than the black background.

Hawk

13. I would have a hard time picking a favorite, they are both nice.

14. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I agree with Kevin that in the first your eye is drawn to the leaves and in the second to the flowers. BUT having said that, I really like the first one best as a picture.

Rather than botany books, I can visualize it on a thousand greeting cards, diary covers, etc.

15. Hi Frank -

If forced to choose, I'd certainly go with the first.

The background is exquisite and the detail in your composition does remind me of a finely-engraved late-19th century botanical print.

Beautiful!

Eric

16. Wouldn't that be sweet :smile:.