1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Unsure C vs N

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyr-Sog, Sep 12, 2008.

1. This isn't so much Canon vs Nikon as I'm not commited to either. Just want whats best for my money. I'm not sure if this is the right forum or if this kind of discussion is allowed but I'm nearing my 14 day trial/takeback period and I'm a little un sure on what to do.

I just bought a Nikon D40 and I have to admit I love it. I think the picture produced from it are fantastic, it's easy to use and ergos are near perfect. My concern is the non af and out growning the short commings with advancing skills. The price point was perfect($550 two lens kit) but I think in the short run(from now to a year) I may be spending more with a new body. I know it's not the body but the D40 is the starting point and lacks features I'll certainly want with progression in the hobby.

Now I can get the XSI kit for $679. It's new tech and after stopping by the store a few times I find it not to be bad in my hands at all. Certainly not as good as Nikons offerings at this level but I'd say it certainly wouldn't even be an issue after a month or so. My concerns are there seems to be a AF problem(rumor?) and for some odd reason, I just don't like the images(from users at other forums) that the xsi, xst, etc produce. Am I alone here? Do they have a different look to the picture produced in general? Maybe I'm reading in to it being I'd like to stay with nikon maybe lol.

I considered the D80 kit but the price is certainly pushing my budget($150 more the the xsi). Also again, it'a over two years old and missing a few features that the new canon has. I can't see paying more for older tech and less features at this point. On the same token it still hol;ds it own against Canons new XSI. That says a lot.

I guess my last thought is to get a year or so out of the camera and let the price of the D90 drop a little. But this is were I'd be spending more money in the short term aspect. Buying two bodys where I could just buy one like the XSI(D80 maybe) and quarentee I'll have those extra features.

Any advice?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The best advice is this, research what cameras will serve your style of shooting, then go to a camera shop and hold the bodies that you've researched. Comfort in the hand is just as important as image quality. I enjoy my Nikons, but Canon is a fantastic camera as well. I know where everything is located on my Nikons, but haven't a clue where anything is on Canons. Whatever you decide, you are bound to have good image quality.

3. I agree with Frank, and comfort in the hand to me is a large factor in my decision.
    You might weigh your decision in keeping the D40 as a nice light backup body even if you do upgrade down the road?

At the end of the day, only you can decide what's right for your style and goals.

4. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    If you want to get the most for your money, I would purchase a used D70s. You can find a nice unit for $350. The D70s will give you extra features including the AF.

Invest in the lenses not the camera body. The lenses will last much longer and will last well into the future since they really never become outdated. By buying a used body, you'll have much more to spend on good glass. The camera is limited by the lenses. Even though the D70s is older, it will give much better results for the same price when combined with quality lenses.

Another thing to remember in that lenses hold their value. If you buy one for $500 new, it may still be worth $400 years from now. The body will be worthless.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The best advice I can give is... don't care about the "the best for your money". Spend some of your money on a photography class in your neighborhood (check out community college etc). Assignments with a forced deadline and "competition" with your classmates will improve your photography more than whatever brand camera you have.

The D40 is a more than adequate camera that can take excellent pictures (as some of these of *cough* mine *cough*) and there's no need to spend money on "better" bodies until you know for yourself what you're missing in a D40.

2791805311_e7f82ace8d.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2790682767_105772f44b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(using a 18-135mm kitlens)

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well it's not a matter of canon vs. nikon...it's what feels good to you. I shoot with both and I'll tell you I love both cameras. Both cameras are excellent.

7. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Yeah but it took a $4500 Canon for you to fall in love :wink::biggrin:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well you have a point Rich...but at 21mp it is pretty nice and does feel good in my hands! :biggrin:

OTOH...I still love my D200. :biggrin:

9. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    I'm a recent switcher to Nikon but I just can't get used to the position of the front dial. It seems that every other camera has it in a nicer position than Nikon. What gives? Fortunately, my gripes with Nikon is a short list but thats at the top.

10. Hi Tyr-Sog:

I have had the opportunity to use both Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Both are good camera's. However, after evaluating each of their's pro's and con's I decided to stick with Nikon.

As others have suggested, try both out and see which one meets your needs and comfort level. Also, as Turtile suggested, invest in good glass. Bodies will be obsolete way sooner than the lens.

Whichever body you choose, do post often.. As you may have experienced, this is a very friendly forum where we share our photography experiences primarily.

11. That's funny - I have the exact same feeling every time I pick up a Canon - as in 'Why the h*ll would they put the dial there?'

It's just what you are used to...

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    lol, youve probably come to the wrong place for impartial advice :biggrin:

13. Great pictures!

Oh I know just from shooting my first couple hundred pictures that the D40 is great. Even as a first time DSLR shooter I ended up with some real gem shots. Not to mention, all of the postitive feedback on the D40 to this day says a lot about this camera. Dispite being over 2 years old.

Like I said though, as it stands I only have the kit lens and a 55-200 VR. So I'm not bound to any one manufacture. My concern basically is comming down to what would be cheaper for me in the long(well short) run. Money is playing a factor because my wife and I are due for our first baby in April :D  . So money is going to be tight the next couple of years. I decided on the Dslr for a couple of reason. First, I need a hobby(with getting out of backyrad astronomy :(  ). Second, I want to get a camera now that way I could develope some skills for taking pictures of the baby. With the economy the way it is and my line of work, I'm not sure if I'll have the luxury to buy a better body in a year or two. This is where getting a camera with built in AF may help with lens cost.

I really am sold on the Nikon system. I agree with most of you about the feel of the camera is one of the top consideration. I don't think the Canon is as bad as some make it out to be but it's certainly lacking at this level behind Nikon(though I like the Canon better the Oly and Sony).

Maybe I'll go with the D80 Kit(18-135mm). CC will price match amazon at $812 for this setup. Taking back the D40 and the 55-200mm VR lens will cover that cost. I'll be a lens short but no biggie for now.

Decisions, decisions

14. Haha, yea. It was hard to bring this subject up but even though I'm a newb I felt that this site seemed to have a friendly and honest vibe about it.

Also I wanted to thank everybody for their input, much apprciated!

15. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    They will both take incredible pictures.

Personally I went with Nikon purely based on ergonomics, and the ability to still use 50+ year old lenses if I would like. Plenty of great vintage MF Nikon lenses out there, and none of Canon's old MF lenses will fit on an AF body.

But go with what you like, you will be satisifed either way.

16. Ok, I'm going to keep the D40 lol. After researching and reading like I'm taking the most important final exam of my life, there is just too much praise for this camera. Even to this day. I start to read users reviews about the xsi, the d80 and comparions, and the D40 just comes up too much. It's only negative seems to be the non built in AF. But third party AF lens take care of that right?

It's not even that I'm not happy with it, I'm extremly happy with it. It's the case of sitting around, over thinking and my take back grace period ending monday. If the D80 was around $650 it would be a now brainer but ant nearly twice the cost of the D40 I just don't think it's worth it.

17. If you want a real revelation, get a pro lens for that camera. Like a 17-55 or 24-70 or wait for the new 50 1.4 AF-S. Glass is by far the better investment.

18. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I bought a D80 to go along with my D40 b/c of the autofocus thing

then I came to realize that a lot of the nicer lenses I wanted are AF-S anyways, so it was a non issue

and also the AF-S lenses seem to focus way faster anyways

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  19. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Oh I hate the Canon dial as well, along with the placement of the Nikon front dial. Its not that I don't like the front dial, I love it, but the angle and elevation of the Nikons are more "uncomfortable" for me compared to Minolta/Sony and Pentax.

20. I won't touch a Canon with a 10 foot pole, but I'm just one of those militant Nikon users. :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.