Unusual GBH Landing (large / many images)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, May 22, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    This is not the normal landing sequence as the bird climbs over a 150 feet from the lake, where it has just fed on shad that were caught in the dam generator turbine blades, to the top of a tall tree along the shoreline.

The day was very hazy and overcast, and these were taken from about 300 feet. Shot with the D2H /300mm f2.8 + TC-20EII, for a focal length of 600mm. Cropped about 25%.

Climbing hard:
    [​IMG]

Still climbing:
    [​IMG]

Still....
    [​IMG]

Still........
    [​IMG]

Still climbing, but starting the flare:
    [​IMG]

Flare:
    [​IMG]

Touchdown (or up....;-)):
    [​IMG]

The 2.0 TC has a reputation for softness, and these are a tad on the soft side, but I attribute some of this to camera shake, due to the 600mm focal length, and some to the hazy conditions. Certainly acceptable all things considered IMHO. 8)

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Frank! It's amazing to watch the big herons and egrets land in the trees and a real pleasure to get the shots! (did you notice my avatar?) I'm always surprised that the trees can support them.

3. Great sequence Frank! It really shows the bird's wing span and wing movement. They certainly seem reasonably sharp to me. Those tree branches hardly seem strong enough to hold him.

4. Nice series Frank...looks like you had a good outing! :D

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Frank - that's an excellent action sequence! I'm almost inspired to post my own egret action shots - as comic relief you know. :|

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice series Frank.

great sight to see. they are so big, yet so graceful

7. Nice series, Frank. I would not have known that the TC had been used if you had not of mentioned it.

8. Cool pictures, Frank. Interesting to see the series of them landing in the tree. The branches look kinda flimsy. Were they able to hold him up?

9. Great series really amazing how agile these birds can be. Sort of going up with the landign gear down. Very crisp and well exposed.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

Dennis (Nikam) made the same observation, and it is kind of funny to see them when they first put their weight on the branches. The branches bend like crazy, and the bird flaps and flops around quite a bit until everything stabilizes. 8)

I can't wait to get back over there when the sky is clear and there is less haze. We had so many shooting opportunities that I couldn't believe it. Many came out not so good though because of the conditions (couldn't have been the shooter....;-)).

Thanks,

11. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I rememeber this shots series. Mine were even farther and didn't process nearly as well. Good job.