Unusual Hummingbird photos needed!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Since there are so many expert hummingbird photographers here on the Cafe, I thought I'd pass this along. It was posted on Birdchat--a national hotline for birders. In case you are wondering about her credentials, Sheri Williamson is the author of author of A Field Guide to Hummingbirds of North America in the Peterson Field Guide Series. So this is legit!

"Greetings, chatters,

I hope some of you can help me find photos for a major magazine
    article on hummingbirds. There are plenty of lovely portraits out
    there, but I've been asked to help round up some excellent quality
    images that show that these amazing birds are more than just pretty
    faces - courtship displays, aggression, singing, preening,
    flycatching, sap feeding, tongue extension, urination, predation, etc.
    I'm also looking for an excellent portrait of a male Bee Hummingbird
    taken under natural conditions.

Feel free to pass this message on to anyone you think might be able to
    help.

Thanks in advance,

Sheri Williamson
    Bisbee, Arizona
    tzunun@mindspring.com
    http://tzunun.home.mindspring.com "

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Given that she's located in Bisbee, almost within spitting distance of some of the best hummer locations in the continental US, it's sounding a lot of to me like we need to do a road trip to southeast AZ.

You bring your Better Beamer and your great skills, I'll bring the 200-400mm and I'll cook.

When you do get in ? And what cuisine style do you want ?

John P.

3. LOL John, I'm on my way! And if you're cookin'...well of course it has to be southwestern. Actually, there's a great restaurant in Bisbee...Cafe Roka...we ate there last time we were there! Highly recommended. But unfortunately it was in February and there were no hummers yet. I would love to get back to SE Arizona for the hummers again...best time is NOW through mid-August, as I'm sure you know. But alas...I am off to Peru in a few weeks. But they do have a few hummers there ;-) I am probably going to use my spouse's D70 just for the hummer pics, so I can take advantage of the high speed synch. I've already warned him he's gonna have to give it over whenever a hummer is around :twisted:

However, I think I'll be hard put to capture one urinating -- :!: :!: :shock:

4. ROFLMAO!! :lol:

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Actually, the migration period is perhaps the best time, although rarer items like the Beryline Hummingbird (also spelled Berylline) are good in late August. I may go down there again just after Labour Day.

As for style, well, Southwestern is certainly on the menu, but my cookbook collection is much larger than my photography book set. And I've read them. You may draw what conclusions you want to from that.

FYI. Some of the locations like Beatty's Orchard in Miller Canyon do not allow strobes or flashes. By all means, though, bring as much gear as you and your spouse can carry. Do note that the cabins in Beatty's Orchard are somewhat of a walk uphill, however.

As for those embarrassing moments for the hummers, well, I have a shot or two like that, but I'd really prefer for my bird photography to be known for other images ! :roll:

John P.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I have several captures of hummingbirds made while urinating.

oh, you mean the hummingbird has to be urinating when we take the shot?

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You are just too funny twig. I had to wipe the tears from my eyes to type this.... :lol:

8. OMG .... !!! ..... too funny. I got visions...oh never mind! :oops:

9. Have never taken an acceptable Hummer shot but with all the water my wife has me drinking, urination is a way of life for me. I don't imagine you would want . . . . . . . . no forget I even thought that. :D

10. Wow this thread is taking an entirely different direction than I intended :roll: :lol:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, but it did make you smile, huh. :lol:

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

You did, I might note, make a comment about capturing hummers in one activity that's now taken over the thread...

I just offered to cook gourmet meals for the field-trip...

John "Blameless" P.