Unusual pair at my feeder

The quality of the photograph is not great, but I was very surprised to get this shot.

Rose-breasted grosbeak and red crossbill:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are the individuals...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Interesting! Doesn't look like there is much motion blur. Did you apply any selective sharpening? Are they frequent visitors in your area?

Interesting! Doesn't look like there is much motion blur. Did you apply any selective sharpening? Are they frequent visitors in your area?
There are two problems: I am shooting through a window, and getting sufficient depth of field is problematic with two birds.

We had crossbills two years ago at this time, but not last year. They began showing up this year the past Saturday. We get four or five at a time several times each day.

The Grosbeak showed up for the first time yesterday, but has been a frequent visitor since. Again, we first saw one of those two years ago, but not last year.

Here is a female crossbill:

Very cool...! :cool:
Thanks, William.

Here is one I just made with the D600:

Female crossbill on the upper left, rose-breasted grosbeak, and male crossbill behind the feeder.

I guess they all know where the best food is and they're willing to share... :tongue:
Actually, there is lots of competition at the feeder. The grosbeak tries to bully smaller birds, but is himself bullied by the red-bellied woodpecker. The cardinal and the grosbeak have a "Mexican standoff", squawking at each other from different perches on the feeder.

I like that first one, they are simpley refusing to look at one another!

Nice catch.
Thanks, Bill.

Very nice. Good color and detail. I like the 3rd and 4th ones best.
Thanks, Pat.

Terrific, Jim - I've been on the lookout for either of those with no success thus far. :smile:
Thanks, Eric. Do you get crossbills in Kansas? They are very rare here.

I saw no crossbills today, so they may be gone. They left at about this time two years ago, which was the only previous time we have seen them. The Grosbeaks were still around today, however.

Thanks, Eric. Do you get crossbills in Kansas? They are very rare here.

I saw no crossbills today, so they may be gone. They left at about this time two years ago, which was the only previous time we have seen them. The Grosbeaks were still around today, however.
Yes, Jim, but not frequently, and they are not often photographed by amateurs such as me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom