Unusually Dark prints, Just me?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by lexiticus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I know this is somewhat subjective, But I think this isn't my fault (this time)
    Backstory =, I sent these pictures in to cameracanada.com's prolab, They were all metallic prints on Kodak Professional Endura.

I usually underestimate the loss of shadow detail in printed pictures, Which is why I specifically lightened my Fireworks pics a bit past normal. So I finally get the prints back today and they are super dark. My lower 3/4 of the histogram looks like it dropped right off the page (ok maybe a bit sensationalist) But whats crazy to me is the loss of the blues in the sky...

Anyway you be the judge, Left half of this pic is the original file i sent in (resized of course) And the right pic is a picture of the picture. (I adjusted it so it looked accurate to what I see) My monitor is calibrated correctly (or very close to)
    So you be the judge..

I emailed them and asked if they did any editing to these batch, still waiting for a reply.

comparison.

Tell me what you think, I'm not an expert on printing, I just do a lot of it :)

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Could be that your shot is beyond the dynamic range of the paper. I've had issues like that on occasion, and out of gamut shots as well. It looks great on the monitor, but the prints are a different story. Sometimes, I have to open up the mid-tones beyond what looks right on the monitor to get the print the way I want it. One of the advantages of printing yourself is that you can try different things until you get it right. There is an associated cost, though.....

3. Ya looks like that was the case, Just got an email back from the printers.

"There has been no colour correction applied to your images. Metallic paper
    is a different media, with less shadow and highlight detail than other
    photographic papers. Also the output profiles are not as "well travelled" as
    the N, E and F surfaces. Without an output profile for metallic your
    monitor will display these images very differently than the prints.
    Regards, Ron"

In the past because the prints looked so similar I didn't bother running them through the output profile, Guess I need to do that from now on!