Up Close and Personal, Fishing Osprey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I've been down sick for the last week or so, rotten summer flu/cold/crud/crapola, but I hauled myself out yesterday afternoon to meet Jim at our favorite Osprey nest. Very hot for Western Washington yesterday, high 90's, so we were not sure what we would find.

Started off with Mom and the Chicks in the nest yelling for food, but Pop was nowhere in sight. So Mom does that neat Osprey "head bob" thing to triangulate on a fish and WHOOSH! out of the nest she goes, straight down to the water.

[​IMG]

If you want to view The Splashdown and others not posted then just click on that link to the left and the entire album will open, containing 15 images, conveniently in a new window. And these were just the 15 out of the sequence that I liked the best :biggrin:

Then Momma can be seen Rising from the Waters:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flying back with The Fish.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this one didn't do much more than feed Momma it was so small, the Kids had to wait for Dad, who finally DID come back with groceries.

Coming in for a Landing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike the Fishing Tern from the other day, Momma here had the common courtesy to NOT drop down right behind a piling. We have been waiting for this since we first went to this nest last year, and finally had an Osprey fish Up Close and Personal.

I have to admit, it was rather embarassing to watch the two of us after this occurred. I think I was MUCH worse than Jim, I was certainly engrossed in "Manic Chimping" OOOHHH OOOOHHH OOOOHHHHHH :biggrin::biggrin:

And, in closing, yes, I DO like clipped wings :wink:

2. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    great captures!

3. kilm53

kilm53 Guest

Great Captures isnt enough..Fantastic is mor like it.. :wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice stuff:>))))))

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather.

5. Gee, Bill, wil you please STOP - I'm getting a severe case of Osprey-itis! :eek:

(stop - not really)

6. Great series!!

Jose

7. Very nice series Bill. Great job of capturing the Osprey coming back out of the water, not an easy shot fous or exposure wise.

8. Bill, that first shot is one I wish I had. I did not catch up until the osprey was in the water. It was a real neat thing to see so close to us. I will post mine later as they are not much different from yours with the exception of the first one. Man that is a killer shot. Way to go.

9. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Incredible series Bill.

10. those are tough shots and you did very well (Osprey in the water).

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Bill :

That first shot is primo, extraordinary, and just plain wonderful ! :biggrin:

And 950mm ? What's that all about ?

John P.

12. Nice wet closeup series Bill!!!

13. Very good Series Bill, and really gret close-ups