Up Close

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Aug 28, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

The 500mm can be beat (except for the 600mm and the 800mm of course :biggrin: ) for getting close-ups of our locals.
    32571285-L.

32571286-L.

33323648-L.

33323589-L.

33323583-L.

2. Hi Harry, it would be nice to have the 500mm lens but alas I will have to make do with the 300mm + TC 1.4. Good images but I do have a question, why have you cut of the feet of the birds in your images?

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Most of photography is a compromise. The drawback to the reach of the 500mm is that sometimes you can't always get the whole bird in. In two of the shots I could have squeezed it in but then the bird would have had no "headroom". In one shot the bird was on an ugly pipe so I opted to frame it out and give up the feet. I was using my car as a blind for most of these shots so I couldn't walk back a couple of feet as I was already squeezed against the door and shooting out the opposite window.

4. You got to luv that 500mm :smile: nicely done!!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really nice shots harry. You know you could've removed the Tc and gotten the whole bird in, right? :wink: But, I know, that's a hassle, taking it off, & putting it back on.

6. Nice shootin'!!! :smile: :smile:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

another home run Boss !!
    My turn in a bit :wink: :biggrin:

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Keith

9. Great stuff love the LGH squaking that lens is as sharp as a tack

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    It was funny that day because I started w/o the TC and then I saw some raptors in a tree and the TC went on and then off and then on. In the end just left it on.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff Harry. Very pretty.

Love the LGH squaking :>))) lol

12. Nicely done, Harry.!!!
    About those ugly pipes found here and there at Viera, may be we should send to Chris Koeppel a complaint forcing him to grow some grasses to hide them. :smile:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Daniel.

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Bne. I'll keep an eye out for your stuff.

15. Stunning shots Harry. Question,what 500mm lens are you shooting with Nikon or something else?

Thanks louie

16. Beautiful shots, Harry! I especially like the lighting on the last one. The 500 is high on my wish list - but I think I'll have to wait a while - if I want to stay married ...LOL

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Harry -

Wonderful images despite the crappy lens you were using. :wink: :wink: The Green Heron (people seem to insist on calling a Little GH but I think that is wrong, right?) shot is my favorite.

I'm curious how you handle the 500 through the passenger side window. Bean bag? Kirk door gizmo? I used to find that the contortions required to shoot from the front seat were a real pain. Best deal I've got is when my wife drives and I shoot from the back seat, either side. Now that is nice, and she even likes to do it. While I shoot, she knits. :smile: :smile:

Gordon

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Mike,

Thanks and I am amazed at the sharpness and clarity of shots with this lens. :biggrin:

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gale

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots with the bazooka Harry. I went out this weekend with the 300 and 1.4. I ended up cutting the wing tips or tail or head of so many flying birdies that I just ended up taking the TC off. Sure made me thing hard about the 200-400VR. :rolleyes: