Up-sizing for printing - Help

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Flew, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Up to now, virtually 100% of my P/P has been to images in the 900 - 1000 pixel width range, for display here at the Cafe and a few other sites. Recently though, I got an Epson photo printer, and want to print a few images for display in my offices at home and work.

I wish that I had an 800mm lens, so that every birdie shot was full frame, but unfortunately, that isn't the case. As a result, I have to crop my target images, sometimes significantly. The result with shots from my D2H is that I need to up-size the cropped image to get to an 8 x 10 format.

I did this in CS2 using the built in bicubic resizer tool. The result was an image that had what looked like noise that I didn't see in the original. Is there a better / more preferred way of doing such up-sizing, or am I just stuck with what I'm getting?

Thanks for your help. :smile:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flewwwwwww

The D200 is sure nice :>)))))))))

Less than an 800 mm......

3. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Genuine fractrals from lizard tech is pretty good, as you already know however its no substitute for real world reach in mm.
    Now if only the D2X could do D2H quality and high iso performance in HSC mode! That would be a killer camera for sure

4. I use Qimage for upsizing. It seems to use a very good interpolation algorithm, till now I cannot see any flaws, at least when uprezing to twice the original size. There is also a "print-to-file" option.

Cheers

5. Use Photoshop to upsize. The trick is to only increae by 10% steps. It may take a while but according to Scott Kelby, this method is virtually artifact free.

6. I read an interesting article on re-sizing in British Journal of Photography a few months ago. Other than explaining where the infamous 300dpi "requirement" for printing came from (in high quality magazine reproduction a screen of around 150-180 dpi is used, in order to avoid the dot frequency of the digital file aliasing with the screen the digital file needs to be about double (or half) the screen frequency (nyquist again :smile: ) hence 2*150 = 300dpi) it suggested that there was no discernable difference between upsizing in one step and in small increments.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Another QImage user here. If you are a Windows user, I can highly recommend it. Among many of its cool features is the ability to apply overlays at print time. For example, create a file containing your signature and copyright symbol and have it applied only at print time - and correctly sized - whatever size print you choose.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, I certainly appreciate all of the good answers so far, but am still not sure which way to go. Paul has offered to process one of my files for me, so I'll send that to him tonight. I'll also check out QImage and the suggested Genuine Fractals tools. Maybe my image just has noise that is more suppressed in the down-sizing operation, but is exposed in the up-size.

It may take a while, but I'll get there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of your responses. :smile:

9. I have been testing some recently and I found PS CS upsizes very well. I upsized a file from 100 to 200% in one step with very good result. The thing I did though was to use "Bicubic Smoother" in CS - it does wonders. I upsized the same file using Genuine Fractals and in a side-by-side comparison could NOT see the difference. I feel I no longer would use GF, given the result with Bicubic Smoother.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frits,

Very useful info. I normally use bicubic smoother for down-sizing, but chose straight bicubic for the up-size. I'll try it again tonight with B-S.

Thanks,

11. One obvious footnote: No matter which method you use, you will not create photosites ie. resolution with upsizing. It is unrealistic to expect perfect results, as if you were using a 12 MP camera when you upsize by 100% (for, in my case, a 6MP D1x). You can get great results, but it remains a remedy.

12. Frank the Fred Miranda plugin for Resizing is specfic to the D2H and is wonderful PM me if you wish to discuss more

13. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    I actually upsize my D2X raw files to 17.5 mp with no perceived loss of quality when compared to using other methods by just selecting 17.5mp in the resolution drop down box of ACR.
    Can't get much simpler than that!

14. Fred Mirand makes an excellent plugin for such purposes. The plugin is SI Pro 2 and it is easy to use and quite good. The cost is reasonable. Certainly worth a look Frank.

15. I use the 10% at a time method with photoshop and size at 300 dpi. Also, I have used a Fred Miranda plugin or action. You may want to check out http://fredmiranda.com
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/Interpolation_Plugin/
    SI Pro 2 16-bit series Plugin
    Gordon, looks like we had the same thought. I need to upgrade my old version. This version looks great.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. I have the FM ResizePro for the D2H and was going to try it tonight. If it doesn't do the job, I'll try this SI Pro 2 plug-in. The price is very reasonable.

Thanks again,

17. Another Qimage user here Flew. Swear by it!:smile:

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

19. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Frank,
    for what it is worth, I use Qimage as well and find it excellent--at least for printing. Keep whatever original size you typically file and upsize/downsize in Qimage for printing. Perhaps I am not as critical as many, but I have printed 23" prints down to 4 x 6" prints from the same file via Qimage and folks seem to be very impressed at the results. No problem with sales of such photos either. It is a tad quirky to learn but I wouldn't use anything else.