1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Upclose

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dudley5854, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    141752dd-aa15-4034-9352-7dccaf4fd06c.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Very creative! I like the toning and the texture. (I assume you wanted the unusual, extreme texture; if not, you would want to attend to it.)

3. Another vote for the toning and the textures, Dudley!

I do wonder if you didn't get some processing artefacts?
    Especially noticeable in the out of focus areas.

4. I think flowers make better colour images. The texture reminds me of processing artifacts so I'm not a fan.

Larry

5. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks for the input. I have done so many colorful flowers that I really love this pic and the texture.

I never plan I just throw those sliders around in Lightroom until I like it.

You all have a great weekend

6. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    DSC_0428-Edit.jpg
    Structure under bridge along Allen Parkway in Houston

7. Great lines. The high-contrast look nicely complements the composition.

8. Excellent how he seems to be following the black line, Dudley.
    Really like the b&w result with the deep blacks.

Personally, I often enjoy processing flowers in b&w. Instead of removing the colours, I see this more as revealing the essentials :) 

I also take a "WYSIWIG" - what you see is what you get - approach to my processing.

9. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    3450CAEC-4817-4890-982C-14B85B2AF4DB.jpeg
    Thanks for the kind words. I have noticed that my black and whites seem to be a tiny bit darker in this forum.
    I am posting from my iPad instead of my Mac. I did like 500 px as you could fine tune for that site.

This was shot with my fav D80 as it was the last Nikon to have a ccd instead of a cmos. Some say it does black and white different but who knows. It was expensive to make so as the story goes they went to cmos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Great image with the two 'characters', Dudley!
    Fine processing! Quite film-like.

11. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks Bart,
    Sort of mixed up my statements as last of course was a x10 but was talking about the effect of a ccd vs a cmos.
    I am going to do more b&w with d80 vs d7500 and see which I like. Gave my d300 away and still kicking my *** over that. By far my fav camera in the hands feel.

12. ccd definitely has my preference, for colour as well as for b&w.
    Not so much for high iso of course but that's why we have noise reduction software :) 

13. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Back then we used to slam the "Plastic Canon Colours", which we insisted was inferior to the true offering from Nikon and came from the inferior CMOS sensors they used. As soon as Nikon adopted CMOS sensors, the plasticity was suddenly no longer an issue for most of us! I used a D200 until recently and when I tried a D300 years ago, I couldn't stand the colours. The D500 and D850 certainly don't look plastic to me. Could be the the plastic colours issue was tamed over time or perhaps like others, I simply got used to it.

Nice conversions!

14. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks Dayo interesting info.
    Thanks for the comment.

15. All very nice Dudley. I like the compositions and the different PP work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.