1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upcoming 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR...?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nacho, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hey Folks:

Thom Hogan has a note about the upcoming D90 (replacement for the D80), which supposedly has a Liveview feature that can record video (incredible, but it makes sense and hopefully it will be great quality cause it will certainly revolutionize things). In the same note he mentions a new kit lens coming: 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR.

I hope that since it provides less range that it can at least surpass the 18-200. I also hope it at least meets the 16-85 in terms of IQ and the rest. We'll see. Between an updated (supposedly soon) 24-120 VR, the 18-200 VR, the 16-85 VR, and now an 18-105 VR, which would you find most appealing and for what primary purpose(s)?

Best,

N :smile:

2. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    I'll probably get slapped around for saying this (oh wait, this isn't dpreview :wink:) , but I'm a little disappointed that Nikon put time into developing the 18-105VR (assuming it's true - Thom's usually on the mark). I can't say that it'd appeal to me over the 16-85VR and frankly doesn't even seem that different to me. Now if they'd made it a constant f/4 zoom? That would have made it a much more interesting addition to the line up.

3. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    I agree, a constant f/4 would have been something to grab (a 2.8 even better). As it is, if it is excellent in pretty much all regards, it might find a way into my bag for PJ work. It seems a versatile combination of both 16-85 and 18-200. We'll have to wait and see.

Best,

N

4. If it is optically superior to the 18-200VR, and I expect it will be, I will be very interested in the 18-105VR. I have recently been using my 28-105 as an all-around lens for travel and hikes because it is so small and light, covers a very useful range, and is quite sharp. Its main limitations are not being wide enough and not having VR. I hope the new lens is a viable replacement.

The 18-200VR is a very useful lens, but suffers a bit in IQ, it's bigger and heavier than the 28-105, and that darn creep...

The one thing that the 28-105 has that won't likely be included on the new lens is the macro feature. Even though it only reaches 1:2 at 105mm, I find it very useful for wildflowers, etc.

5. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Can we say "KIT LENS"

Would not be surprised if this is just a VR makeover of the 18-135 prosumer "KIT LENS." Think Nikon is trying to get VR even on its cheaper lenses to compete with the SONY and PENTAX lines which have stabilization built into the bodies. One of the criticisms of the existing 18-135 lens is that the focal length is long enough and the lens is dark enough to need VR, in some peoples opinion anyway. The 16-85 is a different class of lens and that would be my choice for IQ.

With that said, will look into the D90 to replace my D40x. Can we say "INCOME TAX REFUND.":smile:

6. My hope is that the new 18-105VR would be in the same quality class as the 16-85VR.

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Canon's f/4 zooms have rather mediocre bokeh... so I'll pass.

8. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    if it is in the same class as the 16-85VR it would make sense to go with this one, it might even be pretty nifty for portraits.

N

9. Do we really need another 18-whatever DX lens with a max aperture of f/5.6 at the long end? f/3.5-4.5 would have made this much more appealing, or constant f/4 as has been suggested. It would have to be pretty damned good to replace my 20mm f/2.8 and 28-105 combo.

10. I see that comment every time Nikon announces a new 18-xxx midrange zoom :smile:

But from generation to generation they have improved their optics, and now they're putting VR in all their lenses. What's not to like? It gives people more choice, and that's good!

I suspect the 18-105 VR will have the same cheap build quality as the 18-135 since it's a kit lens. It will probably sell for around $350 by itself, and the 16-85 VR will remain a step above in build quality.

They'll probably stop making the 18-70 and 18-135 lenses before long.

Cheers

Mike

11. I just don't see enough difference from the 16-85 to make it worthwhile. Seems that it will be quite a bit cheaper, but considering that the 16-85 seems overpriced to me...

12. It's sad to see respectable camera companies compete with the consumer-ish competition. Now that I go to a magazine stand all the photography magazines are about which camera has the better technology. Very little is emphasized on actual photographic technique.

13. Nikon (as a functioning mid-size Corporation) Is Not Stupid.

It is clear that they are designing incrementally superior products for both the DX and FX buyers.

You don't have to buy it -
    But I, or someone else will, and I/they will be pleased with the image quality this lens produces.

Add: Initial reports indicate this 18-105 sounds like it has been well-massaged optically.

14. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It does seem a bit pointless, and I would have thought that development resources and time would have been better spent filling one of the holes in the Nikon system.

15. But this is one of the holes in the Nikon system, from a sales & marketing perspective! They have VR in the 18-55 kit lens, but not in the 18-135. They desperately needed to offer the D90 buyer a kit lens with VR to match the offerings from Sony/Pentax/Olympus...

Cheers

Mike

16. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    But they have a 16-85mm VR which is almost the same. What next? A 20-135 VR. Then a 24-150 VR. Etc.

17. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    That would be great! I would buy for sure!

18. The 16-85 is not almost the same - it's $200 more expensive and has far better build quality than a kit lens. The 18-105 VR will probably come with a plastic mount and no focus distance scale, like the 18-135!

Cheers

Mike

19. I agree. It's quite possible that the 16-85VR is too expensive to bundle with the D90. Maybe the 18-105VR cuts a few corners to make it cheaply, so it can be sold a part of a D90 kit.

Nikon probably doesn't want to have a non-VR kit lens for the D90. The 18-55VR is for the less expensive models in the lineup. Given that the 16-85VR is quite pricey, I guess they need the 18-105VR to fill that gap.

20. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    until there is something better than my 17-55, I'm not wasting my money :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.