Test Update April,2020-Topaz AI Sharpen

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I hate it when updates break software. I just updated Sharpen AI to version 2.0.5 and it is WAY slower that the older version 1.4.6 that I've been running. Both the preview and generating/saving the output file are much slower. I thought that perhaps masking only a portion of the image would result in a faster output but in fact it seems to be the opposite. When using the mask feature the output is downright glacial. With the older version saving the file on my system typically takes on the order of 30 seconds. The newer version is taking 5x as much time. The only saving grace is that the update process gave me the option to leave the old version intact. Which I did thank goodness.
Hmmm....I haven't used Sharpen Ai much, maybe 5 photos. But I didn't notice any slow down after going to v2.0.5. But I have not used the masking options yet, but processed whole images.....

Real Name
Dan
Where would I find preferences for my card, I'm using Windows10
With the AI software open and on your screen at upper left click on File then Preferences and a box will pop up. Under Processing toggle Enable discrete GPU to Yes.

I hate it when updates break software.
Regrettably, it's a fact of life with Topaz. Each new release has the potential to introduce new bugs or variants of the old ones. Beyond that, the primary issue I have with both Sharpen and Denoise is the artifacts, especially since some of the most egregious ones don't show up in the previews. Yes, I know there are work-arounds but if I'm processing a lot of files then I simply don't have time to examine each frame with a jeweler's loupe. If I'm working on a "masterpiece" (I use the word loosely) then it's a different story. Unfortunately I do a lot more batching and quick edits than I do anything I'd call art. These two entries from Topaz are just not for me.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Updated with another comparison image here. Also copied all of the comparison images into the OP for anyone viewing the thread for the first time.

p3881202997-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
I assume it works from LR also ?
I do like the nik sharpener but this one looks better, the last owl pic was amazing

Real Name
Randy
I found a 15% off coupon so I think I’ll give it a try for $60
It does look impressive

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I found a 15% off coupon so I think I’ll give it a try for $60
It does look impressive
I've had good success with it. My process: I try each of the 3 methods on Auto. Then I select the one that works the best. Then I turn off Auto Update off.....and select Manual and adjust the settings. Then manually have it update.

BTW - It doesn't read raw files....only png or tif or jpg....................!!!!!!! But you CAN run/select the filter from Photoshop......!!!!

Real Name
Bill
Shooting Mountain Goats today in really lousy conditions. Cold morning followed by a couple of hours of bright sunshine. Nearly every shot was soft due to heat risers.
I ran these thru Sharpen ai using the stabilize tab. Not perfect but actually quite usable considering where they started.

Mountain Goat 3.jpg

Mountain Goat.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom