Update August 3 on My Infant Nephew - WARNING: Baby & Medical Equipment

WARNING: Some people may be uncomfortable viewing a picture of a tiny baby hooked up to life-support equipment.

At 45 days old, Matthew Jr. has graduated from a special bed with a built-in heater to a crib. He stays warm thanks to being wrapped in a blanket fashioned like a papoose. EDIT: Another first is that he sucked his thumb once this past week.

Though his condition warrants that we remain aware that he is still fighting for survival, his continued progress also gives reason for realistic hope that this story will have a happy ending. It was interesting that one of his nurses casually referred to a time that she had been taking care of him weeks ago, reminding us that "that was when he was really sick."

Surely no child ever had stronger parents. To ensure that they would know everything about their son's condition, they watched Episode #6 of Hopkins. That's the reality television show of happenings at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is where Matthew Jr has been staying since birth. One of the story lines involves a child born 10 weeks prematurely (Matthew was 9 weeks early) with the same condition that Matthew has. The doctor in the television show is on Matthew's medical team and the sick child was in the exact same bed that Matthew was in until yesterday.

Yesterday was very exciting for me because I had the very rare opportunity of seeing and, of course, photographing Matthew not only being held by his parents for an hour, but also being rocked by them. The physical circumstances of nearby equipment conected to the child by tubes severely limited my photographic options, but you won't find me complaining. Three of the keepers are shown below.

101125946.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 233672

View attachment 233673
The first photograph of Matthew Jr.'s eye lashes

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm so happy to see this update
i can see that his respiratory issues are ongoing... and something with which his parents will be dealing for some time in the future

it is as if matthew, jr. is one of our adopted kids here at THE CAFE
thank you for bringing him into our lives

M

Marina

I'm glad that baby is doing better now. Thank you for sharing the story!!

N

Nuteshack

praise God ...this is wonderful, Mike ...thanks for sharing!

;-)))

Mike I've been following along from the beginning. I'm so glad to see and read that he's doing better. The best part about this post was seeing his mom and dad holding him. In my prayers....... All the best.......

My fervent prayer is that Matthew continues to improve and eventually goes home to his parents, to grow up a vibrant, healthy boy. As mentioned in the earlier thread, we are going through something similar, so can relate to this. We wish you the very best outcome.

Thank you to everyone! It's particularly nice to see so many of you regularly returning to the weekly update.

it is as if matthew, jr. is one of our adopted kids here at THE CAFE

Very close, but not quite right, Greg. Matthew Jr. has adopted all of you. :smile:

I forgot to mention another milestone that occured during the week. Now that Matthew Jr. has had one of the tubes removed from his mouth (though it's now in his nose), he has a little more room in his mouth. He sucked his thumb once. Fortunately, one of the nurses noticed and took a picture. They haven't seen him do it since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breathing on his own!

At the time that I write this, Matthew Jr. has been breathing on his own with no ventilator for the first time and he has been doing it for several hours. This is such a big deal that the nurse sent a text message and picture to his mother.

I won't be at all surprised if he needs to be hooked up again to the ventillator periodically or even for extended periods, but this major milestone is very promising.

At the time that I write this, Matthew Jr. has been breathing on his own with no ventilator for the first time and he has been doing it for several hours. This is such a big deal that the nurse sent a text message and picture to his mother.

I won't be at all surprised if he needs to be hooked up again to the ventillator periodically or even for extended periods, but this major milestone is very promising.

FANTASTIC!!! Hope he stays off the vent... :biggrin:

Fantastic news!! I was so glad to see the update - I am always wondering how he is doing. Keep up the great pics!!!

Ventillator Update

Continued thanks to everyone for the very nice comments!

As I expected, Matthew Jr. is back on the ventillator. Apparently the first time that most premature babies are disconnected from their ventillator, they remain disconnected only for minutes. Matthew Jr. did very well without it for 5 hours. Doing so forced his body to exercise, kind of like running a mile for the first time. Breathing on his own was understandably tiring. (Remember that he's still not supposed to be born for another 3 weeks!) So the medical team put him back on the ventillator simply because he was getting too much exercise.

This was a VERY good day for Matthew!

Continued thanks to everyone for the very nice comments!

As I expected, Matthew Jr. is back on the ventillator. Apparently the first time that most premature babies are disconnected from their ventillator, they remain disconnected only for minutes. Matthew Jr. did very well without it for 5 hours. Doing so forced his body to exercise, kind of like running a mile for the first time. Breathing on his own was understandably tiring. (Remember that he's still not supposed to be born for another 3 weeks!) So the medical team put him back on the ventillator simply because he was getting too much exercise.

This was a VERY good day for Matthew!

EXCELLENT news!!! Continued prayers for Matthew and your family!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom