update: D200 not focusing with AF-S lenses

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fks, May 12, 2007.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    my D200 won't focus with any of my AF-S lenses. it works fine with AF lenses though.

symptoms:
    1. turn camera on, battery level indicator reads OK
    2. press shutter, no picture taken, no AF movement
    3. battery level indicator goes to near zero and blinks; camera will not respond
    4. turn camera off
    5. turn camera on, indicator back to the previous level

has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

i tried the AF-S lenses on the D2H and they're working fine. looks like there's a problem when the D200 tries to power the SWM. i cleaned the contacts, no difference. the camera worked fine last weekend with the same AF-S lenses.

i was planning to take some fireworks shots tonight with the D200. thankfully i still have the D2H as a backup. carnaval's coming up at the end of the month, hopefully i'll get the D200 back from nikon by then. i called Amex to find out how their warranty extension plan works, so i'm covered on that end.

ugh :mad: :frown: :Tongue: :Depressed :Angry: :Sick: :Bohoo: :Ouch:

ricky

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have experienced something similar to this and it was a battery problem. sometimes happens with the electronic ENEL3 battery. however, mine didn't work any function of the camera including AF lenses.

Battery would indicate full charge, but wouldn't work the camera.

Have you tried a different battery?

Wade

3. Ricky,
    I have been reading of this all over the net in the last couple of weeks. I would encourage you to call Nikon service and initiate a case and send it in if they ask you to.
    Dave

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi wade-

i tried two batteries and the EH-6 adapter, none of which work. thanks for the idea though.

hi dave-

i called nikon, and got a suggestion to upgrade the firmware, then send it in if that doesn't work. that didn't really make sense to me, but i thought what the heck. upgraded the firmware, and the camera still won't AF. it's off to nikon on monday.

on a side note, the camera does work in MF mode with the AF-S lenses. i was able to get some shots tonight without having to resort to the D2H.

ricky

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A long shot
    Back of camera
    focus selector lock (button)

I have accidentally moved that and nothing would work

6. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    if you lock the dpad then it will only lock you frm changing the AF point, it wouldnt change anything else.

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gale and andrew-

nope, it's not the selector joystick. it's only an issue with AF-S lenses. if i switch to an AF lens, everything works fine. thanks for the suggestion though.

ricky

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    sounds like time for nikon visit as you stated,

good luck,

Wade

9. Ciao Fks

due to your symptoms, I'd give a look to electrical contacts on the body side. It's possible that your camera has an anomalous discharge problem, that is it isn't grounded correctly or something like that. It may be that some of them has been moved or damaged in some way, or it's just dirty. Otherwise, I really guess it's something in the electronic inside (maybe a defective chip, unable to deal correctly af-s data and power exchange). But it's just a supposition.

all the best let's know.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi italy-

i cleaned the contacts and checked alignment as best as i could. everything seeems ok, but i didn't do any voltage testing or anything of the sort. i do think you're correct, there's something wrong in the connections for the AF-S power.

camera's off to nikon. too many events coming up, i hope it gets back soon!

ricky

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    just an update:

sent the camera in on 05/15, and received it back today. it cost me $212.50 for a B2 repair:
    image control PCB
    rpl (replace?) power PCB
    rpr (repair?) battery contact

AF is now working normally with AF-S lenses. i'll have to give the camera a test this weekend to see if everything's back to normal. to be honest, i haven't missed the D200 as i've been using the D2H in the meanwhile, with great results. i'd forgotten about the sweet images the D2H can produce, and the fantastic AF system.

nikon servjce's communication is poor. the website status was slow to update, and i had to call them repeatedly to get the latest info on what was being done to my camera. they repeatedly promised to send me an email on the status, which i never received. my only previous experience with them was with my MB-D100, which wasn't a critical piece of equipment so i didn't track the repair that rigorously.

last thing i have to do is call Amex to get a refund on my repair.

thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

ricky

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Hate to hear this. (cost)
    But guess things do break.
    Hope all is working ok now.

13. Best of luck to you! I've experience a similar problem one day with my 12-24 Tokina though... Weird, my old D70 never ever had any problems.

14. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gale-

i'll find out this weekend if i can get out of the house and take some photos! but from the preliminary shots i've tried, everything looks normal. minor irritation is that everything got reset, so i've had to re-do all my settings. larger irritation is that the counter was reset, so i'm back to zero. i know Opanda can show me the actual count, but it was nice having the serialization :frown:

hi chinesestunna-

out of four nikon DSLR's, this is the first major problem i've had. my D2H is still going strong and has yet to suffer the meter failure issue (knock wood!). i'm not bitter about it, stuff happens and you learn to deal with it :smile:

ricky

15. Ricky - Is your camera out of warranty? Sorry to hear about the cost of repair but it really seemed like something that should've been covered in Warranty.