Update July 14 on My Infant Nephew - WARNING: Baby & Medical Equipment

WARNING: Some people may be uncomfortable viewing a picture of a tiny baby hooked up to life-support equipment.

This weekend we visited my nephew with his parents at the hospital again. We are grateful that his condition has not gotten worse in the last two weeks as we hold out hope that it soon starts to improve again. The medical team is administering fewer drugs now, so Matthew Jr. is beginning to show some activity. It's truly amazing how such a minor motion such as sticking out his tongue becomes such a major benchmark under these circumstances.

I still can't help thinking each day that though this child has been out of the womb for three weeks, he has not yet been held by either of his parents and has not had an opportunity to flex his vocal chords. But they are definitely communicating, as I think this week's pictures indicate.

I asked the mother to lean forward toward her child as she had been doing when I first walked through the door of the NICU. That was the extent of the pose. It was only as I raised my camera to my eye that I realized that her neckline was perfectly framing a picture of Matthew Jr.

100150778.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Matthew Jr.'s nurse noticed during the week that he was holding his hands together for the first time. She took the picture so family and friends would be able to see the new hand position. Clearly, Matthew Jr. approves of the picture.

The father all of a sudden really got into the photography during this visit. He suggested poses, pointed out details to capture, and even advised me that a particular angle would improve upon a picture I had already taken. He was right. It's really neat to see the positive impact of pictures on the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh man...this just tugs at my heart. I remember seeing my little guy like this. Altho not for very long...two days. Now he's a healthy 5'11 1/2 160 pound boy at 16 years old.

Mike these images are just excellent.

N

Nuteshack

breaking my heart, Mike ...thanks much for update, i continue to pray for Matt...God bless him, his folks and those caring for him...and God bless u too...;-)))

Thank you for the update. I've been following his progress with great interest, and will continue to do so, so please keep us updated. Again, all the best to you and family.

I Know the Feeling

Mike,
In Feb we spent 11 days with my only grandchild at Texas Childrens in Houston. He got an infection during a day surgery. It was bad.

Now he is blowing and going. I am sure Matthew will do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day #26: Mom Holds Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, folks! Mom got to hold Matthew Jr. for the very first time today, which is Day #26. It was only for about five minutes but Dad was with them. He's hoping that tomorrow night is his turn. Better yet, Mary (Matthew's nurse who all of us in the famiy adore) took a picture of the magnificent event.

Mike,
I'm sure that there are so many family members who live to see these photos. I know when my little guys were there, so many were interested in seeing them.

I think that your photos are just perfect. I'm very impressed with the way you are capturing the emotion. These photos will bring tears to your eyes for years to come.

My grandson's nurse's name was Mary, too. Amber loved/loves her so much.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom