Update July 27 on My Infant Nephew - WARNING: Baby & Medical Equipment

Discussion in 'People' started by Mike Buckley, Jul 27, 2008.

1. WARNING: Some people may be uncomfortable viewing a picture of a tiny baby hooked up to life-support equipment.

Yesterday was a very good day. At 38 days old, Matthew Jr. was held for the first time in both his mother's and father's lap while they rocked him to sleep in a rocking chair. Though I wasn't there at the time, hearing about it made my day! In previous days, they had held their child only for a few minutes several times while the nurses adjusted his bedding.

Matthew Jr continues to produce the excess fluid but the doctors are encouraged that he continues to meet formidable challenges head on for such a young child. The challenges this past week included drinking his mother's milk, switching to formula, relying less on lung support, and the like. He's not at all out of the woods yet, but both parents and child are faring as well as could ever be expected considering the circumstances.

Yesterday was also a better day than usual for my photography, so let's get on to a few pictures.

It was invigorating for me seeing for the first time Matthew Jr. trying to cry as all babies normally do, yet sad to see that he couldn't utter a sound due to the medical support in his tiny mouth and throat. Enjoy the photos and thank you, all, for thinking of Matthew Jr and his family.

silent scream

View attachment 227638
    holding hands

View attachment 227639
    sign on the bed

View attachment 227640
    Mom cleaning sleep from Matthew's eyes

View attachment 227641
    Mom blows son a parting kiss

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Mike,
    May I ask why he is there? What's wrong? I went through something very similar with my son.

3. great update
    wonderful shots
    i was in our NICU this morning... seeing babies... and thinking of MATT

i'm so glad that you are giving us these updates
    our continued thoughts and prayers are with you

4. Mike, I agree on your photos. The 1st is, I believe, one of the best we have seen of Matt.

Continuing best wishes to Matt and the family.

5. Spectre, you asked what is ailing Matthew Jr. We know he has hydrops. The hydrops might be a symptom of an illiness that the name of it is so long that I can't remember how to say it, much less type it. The medical team doesn't need to know if he has it because their treatments wouldn't be any different if indeed he does have it. Determining whether he has it would require a lung byopsy, which they think would be too risky right now, particularly because the information wouldn't be helpful.

Thank you, Greg. You always make a point of dropping by and I appreciate it.

Jani, that photo that you mentioned is one of my two favorites that I've taken so far of Mattew Jr. It's ironic that people viewing the picture of him trying to scream can't hear any less than what I heard and I was obviously there at the time. Being there was sad, surrealistic, joyful (because it was the first time I witnessed him attempting to cry) and, as a result, was a moment that gathered up a variety of emotions.

6. You guys are so great, so strong--thanks for continuing to share with us. We're pullin' for ya!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    ...still keeping baby Matt in my prayers.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Mike,
    Every little small step is reason for such rejoicing. Even a silent scream is cause for happiness. I pray that little Matt keeps on improving each day.

9. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Mike,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My thoughts are with Matt and his family. I can sympathize with what they are going through.

My son spent the first 47 days in the Neonatal ICU at Doerbeckers Childrens Hospital in Portland. He was born with a condition called Gastroschisis and weighed about 4lbs. He was born with a hole in his abdomen and there were things on the outside that were supposed to be on the inside.
    After 3 surgeries the first week, on the 12th day his heart stopped and they had to resuscitate him and put him on a ventilator. It was 27 days before I ever heard him cry or even move on his own. The medication they had him on was a paralytic so he wouldn't move and pull out hoses and wires. On the 32nd day I was able to hold him for the first time....I never wanted to put him down. The 47th day he came home.
    Three weeks after he came home, his heart stopped again while I was holding him. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

He is now a happy 11 year old and totally healthy with the exception Autism. He is the Joy of my life.

Thank you for including us in Matts progress.

10. Your journey with your son is a compelling story, Paul. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks also to Nick, Terri and Senecca!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.