1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

UPDATE: Need vacation planning help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.Alan, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Joe, do you have "Google Earth" installed on your computer? If not, grab it (it's free). Then just point at any spot in the west and look at all the "Panoramio" icons that pop up. Click on a few of those and you'll get a good idea of what the scenery is like in those areas.

I have been to the Black Hills of SD, and it is an interesting area, but to me nothing compares to the four corners area of the SW. Northern New Mexico is mostly above 5000 feet (Santa Fe is 7000), so the weather is wonderful in June. Albuquerque is a nice airport to fly to and has lower-priced car rentals than Denver, for example.

Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park is also spectacular.

And did I mention Yellowstone and the Tetons? In 1984 I had a meeting near Aspen, CO, in June. I flew the whole family (wife and son and daughter, then 11 and 14) to Denver, picked up a rental car, and drove north. We saw Wyoming, the Tetons and Yellowstone, Western Colorado, and spent a few days in Snowmass, then drove back to Denver. It was a great family vacation that my kids still remember.

But all of these areas are different. You need to look at some pictures to get an idea of what each is like, and you probably already have. There are tons of coffee-table books with pictures you can look at (and probably already have).

In the end, of course, it is your choice, and I am sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  2. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Hi Joe,

June would probably be a good time to come to the Pacific Northwest. You could fly into Seattle and spend a couple of days in the city. Places to visit would include the Pier area, Pioneer Square with the underground tour, Seattle center w/ the Space Needle etc... Depending on what you would like to do, I am sure we can come up with suggestions.

Rent a car and do day trips to Leavenworth which is a German theme village in the North Cascades, Mount Rainier National Park, St Helens Historic Monument.

Visit the Olympic National Park for which I suggest an overnight trip as you can also combine the coastal beaches, Quinalt lake and Hoh rainforest in the same trip.

Plan a multi day trip to the Oregon beaches. It takes about 3-4 hours driving time to get there but if you can plan like a 3 day trip, it would be highly recommended.

Let me know if you need more information and I can help you out with it. I am sure other PNWers would chime in and offer more suggestions.

If you would like to check out some of my amatuer photographic adventures in the area, check out http://jayr.smugmug.com

Hope this helps.

3. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I'll second the visit to Seattle...

This is less than 2 hrs away..

[​IMG]

4. Hi Joe...
    Decisions, decisions.
    Frank mentioned Arizona, Sedona, and I remembered a great write up of a trip to this spot. The report was so fantastic that I am keeping this as a place for us to visit should we be able to go west!

Here is a link to the article: good reading no matter where you choose to go!
    http://www.birder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Arizona 0207.htm

5. Joe,

I still have fond memories of driving 101 with my family along the coast north from SF to Eureka and taking an in-land road back to SF and then exploring SF as well. This was in the June/July time frame. While it may not be as spectacular as some of the NPs mentioned it was relaxing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  6. Northern California Redwoods. If you want nature and to see redwood trees that would tower over most sky scrapers and beautiful coastal areas, you should look into it.

7. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I suggest Seattle, catch a ballgame, make a side trip to the Olympic National Forrest. Lots to do ...

- Jay

8. Herman, last year

we did some Pacific Coast exploring, just north of San Francisco. We went to Point Rayes Light House, and spent the better part of an entire day driving about 70 miles. There were so many sights to take in, we stopped almost more than we drove. It was a pleasurable, and very memorable trip. We are definately trying for a repeat. Thanks for the suggestion, it is high on the list.

9. There are great suggestions, here.

With so many choices, it is hard to nail down a place or places to go. We are thinking hard and hope to have an itinerary or two shortly. We will keep you posted!!

10. Update!!

There were many who contributed ideas that sound quite good that will surely be on a future itinerary. Thank you!

We decided on Wyoming and, in particular, the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.

Our itinerary will have us fly in to Salt Lake City where we will go to Antelope Island for photo ops, then we will stay near SLC, overnight. We will journey east-northeast through the Rock Springs , WY area and take in sites like Flaming Gorge and other areas of interest noted on the map. We will continue up through WY, through the Wind River Indian Reservation lands, crossing the Continental Divide, twice, before reaching a location somewhat central to the parks. We will spend time seeing each park, riding horses, and generally taking in the natural surroundings. The return trip will likely take us through Idaho, mostly just so we can claim we've been there.

We can't wait to go and I am sure that I will have at least a few images to post. :biggrin:

11. Great choice, Joe. I'm sure you will enjoy it. And yes, there will certainly be a photo op or three!

12. Jim, we are certainly

looking forward to our trip. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.