Update -- New Essay -- Added images

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbuttrick, Mar 31, 2007.

1. I have been thinking of doing this for awhile and finally wrote a short essay. Now mind you this is no literary masterpiece or necessarily grammatically correct. I write like I speak, in plain english. I'm sure many of you can relate to what the essay is about. Here is the link.

http://www.luminous-vista.com/page20.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott, I sent you an email. Wish you didn't live so far away.

3. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Nice essay, Scott.

It is not only applicable to those of us that take and make the photos, but sometimes to viewers of our art as well.

I have had several people ask me what camera I used for my photos. They seem to assume it has to be a very expensive model to take great photos. They don't understand the art of taking photos, but they are not in photography like we are. We photographers really should know better and it is good to have someone like you point it out sometimes. :smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Absolutely:>)))))) Scott

5. Well said Scott. The finest tools in the hands of a hack can still produce junk and junk in the hands of an artist can still produce a masterpiece. All things are relative.

6. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:biggrin: Uuuuuh! I need a new lens for my pinhole camera. bsvirginian:eek:

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Well said Scott.

NOW about that 70-200 VR you list (that overlaps the 18-200). I might be willing to relieve you of the burden of such excess glass at the right price. Lol

8. You're a funny guy John, nice try.

9. Scott,

We are the same age, 1955.

My experience is similar:
    first fully manual 35mm film/slides and B&W darkroom
    then digital and NAS
    now I'm back to concentrating on manual mode, composition, light and shadows.

The Essay was well written and a real reality check.

thanks for writing it,
    remind us in 6 months to read it again.

Greg

10. Thanks Greg. I am actually thinking of writing a followup to the essay. A couple of other website have also contacted me for permission to publish it on their sites. One guy from LA called me yesterday and we talked for almost 3 hrs.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Scott, thats a great essay. I will agree that the latest and greatest VR, AF-S, Nano-Coated, 12 FPS, 26 MP, giggity-gadget-whoo-haw isn't necessary for great photography....but they sure do help!

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Scott,

I needed that!

I remember awhile ago, I was reading about this guy, who got tired of hearing "Awesome camera, It must take great pictures!" So he put it on the ground, and took a step back. When asked what he was doing, he replied " I'm waiting for it to take one of those great pictures."

Thanks for the reminder... RRRRR

13. That's good Roger.

14. I added a couple of images to the essay to help illustrate my point.

15. Update: Nikonlinks.com has posted a link to my essay and Alain Briot of beautiful-landscapes.com is also going to post the essay on his site.