1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Update of My Infant Nephew, Matthew Jr.

Discussion in 'People' started by Mike Buckley, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Many of you followed my weekly updates of Matthew Jr for the two months that he was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of Johns Hopkins Hospital. Since then he has been in the pediatric unit of a different hospital. Now that he is 3 months old, I'm happy to update his progress and share a few pictures.

Matthew Jr.'s condition is about the same as when he left the NICU. He had a setback when he developed a bacterial infection. Though it was nothing serious, the infection delayed improvement in his condition. His feeding tube has been moved back and forth between his intestines and his stomach. Yet just today he drank from a bottle for the first time in awhile.

His parents are preparing for the special care he will need once he gets home. Ironically, the doctor wants him to go home as soon as possible because he will be more protected there than in the hospital from the upcoming flu season. Considering that he has Chronic Lung Disease due to his premature birth and the excess fluid that prevented his lungs from developing, catching a cold or the flu could be very serious for him.

I don't remember if I mentioned that Matthew Jr. has Down Syndrome. Despite that he is only three months old and has never left the hospital, he has already begun therapy.

Enough about the medical stuff. I'm happy to offer a few of my favorite pictures taken in the last month.

Mom and Dad caring for their son

View attachment 254808
    A firm grip on life

View attachment 254809
    "I'm keeping an eye on you."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  2. What an adorable little guy. My heart breaks for him... all that he's been through. Keep up the fight Matthew :smile:

3. This kid is a real fighter!!! Must've gotten that from his mom and dad, as they sure seem to be as well. :smile: All three of them have had a tough few months and they've come through it, hanging tight! As you know there's a bunch of us here cheering them on and I am glad that you are keeping us updated on his progress.

That is good news to hear that they're going to be taking the little guy home soon. I think that will be really so good and beneficial for all three of them, even with the need for extra personnel and medical stuff in the home.

When I was viewing the last round of photos you had posted a while ago the thought occurred to me that there might also be Down's Syndrome going on, too, but clearly the primary focus since Matthew's birth has had to be on the more compelling physical stuff. There is plenty of time to address the other issues. I think there are some folks on the Cafe who can offer support and experiences with that particular aspect and I am sure that in their community Matthew's parents will find a lot of real-time support as well.

Thanks for sharing the update and photos! He's a cutie!

4. Mike,
    I've had a lot of stuff going on in my family the past while. This post brought a tear to my eye and helps me put things in perspective. Your niece and her husband are heros. Little Matthew will certainly be a gift to the entire family. His eyes are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing him with all of us and for inspiring us with his story.

5. Glad to hear he's still thriving. He'll be home, and 2 years old before you know it. Keep the updates coming.

6. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Mike, Thank you for the update and the photos. He is adorable. That 3rd picture is precious! I'm saying a prayer for he and his mom and dad. Especially for those nasty flu bugs to stay away.

7. Thank you to everyone for your kind comments!

Terri, sorry to learn that your family has experienced some stress recently. I haven't been participating in the pictures area of the forum as much recently, if you mentioned anything there. Always wishing you and your family the best!

8. Mike,

my heart is with Matthew Jr. and the whole family.

I am not as present here at the Cafe as I used to be as I moved to Croatia again and now work from here. I don't have internet connection at home, just work. I'll check in every now and then to see how everyone is doing.

Keep shootin'! You're doing great.

9. Where in Croatia, Ales? You might remember that I loved vacationing in Croatia a couple years ago.

10. Porec, Istra. The same place I shot Oktoberfest last year.

And, yes, I also remember you like the red wine from this parts of the world. :smile:

11. Wow has he grown! I love that last shot, its beautiful! The love of a parent will get them through so much, and pull that precious child along with them. Thanks for the update Mike! :smile:

12. Don't forget that my favorite Malvasia comes from where you are living.

13. A very special baby, Mike. I know he'll be cherished.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.