Update on knife project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 10, 2005.

1. I posted the following on both the macro and lens lust forums, and several of you asked for updates....

----------------------------------------------------------

I think I may have found a new gig for my Nikon 60mm micro.

A friend of mine is a member of a knife club... a large group of well heeled collectors. He was showing me some of precious
    blades when I came up with the idea of photographing rare knives, not documentary for insurance purposes, but for
    framable prints. He lent me a few rare specimens to test the concept.

original.

original.

I'm making him prints so he can take them to his next club meeting and test the market for me.

----------------------------------------------------------

I printed all four samples, and matted and framed them in different styles and sizes. Since the first knife shown is long and skinny, I used a
    10X4 panorama frame, and the third knife worked well with a fancy 8x10 frame matted for 5x7. The two pictures featuring multi-perspectives
    on a single knife were printed at 8x10, and matted to fit 11X14 frames.

When I presented them to the collector, he looked at them with lust, and handled them as if they were the actual blades. Then he spent 45
    minutes discussing each picture in detail. I think he's hooked :cool:. He's going to bring them to the next meeting of his club, to show to the
    other 80 members, and is confident they'll generate a lot of interest. He asked me my prices for the various sizes, and after I quoted what
    I felt were stiff prices, advised me that I would be leaving money on the table, and encouraged me to increase them.

I'm feeling pretty good about the project after that feedback, but will have to wait a while to see if Ed's right, as the next meeting of the
    club is 3 weeks off. I'll let you know how it works out, as some of you might want to try this business model.

2. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I very much like the last one,both the picture and the knife

Seems that you hit a nice "new lens" there at the club

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hey Frank,

You did a real great job here. Everyone owning such knifes should be standing in line for having you shoot these precious items. With these pictures you've got definitely something to proof you can do the job! I would be more worried increasing your insurance when you have tons of such knifes at home for taking pictures :smile: .

Well, the pictures are just magnificent, and so is the layout. It sure makes one have them. I think it's a great business idea, but I'm also quite sure it's quite hard to match the quality you produced (with all these reflective blades etc., lighting should be quite a challenge).

Wish you great success (which I'm sure you will have).

4. Uncle Frank,

My first lust was for knives..My wife doesn't understand my collection...but then alot of people don't. Just seeing your pictures re-lit the flame...oooooohhhhhhh....how can I afford a new lens if I spend it all on knives????

Great Pictures,
    Mike

5. I am very happy for you Frank. The images were great and I bet they looked super printed and framed. I too have an affinity for a good knive and carry a rather expensive quick open pocket knive with me at all times. Except of course through airline security.