Update on my life

Well in a short time I'll be off back to Uganda for several months following on from my initial visit last year.

This is what is happening and you may be interested in my trip next month that is focussing on building a relationship between our Wairarapa District here in New Zealand and Pader District in Uganda.
A start has been made already and is meeting with overwhelming support from the people in both places. What is happening so far:
  • Pirinoa School children have written letters to their new “friends” at ABC Primary School in Rackoko, Northern Uganda which I will be taking with me. The school will most probably be sponsoring a child as well.
  • Greytown School is looking to link with ABC and sponsor a child as well.
  • Kuranui College is providing me with two of their old laptops to take to ABC Secondary School in Rackoko to enable communication between the schools via the internet. They will also be sponsoring a student in Rackoko.
  • On 4th June we are starting a fortnightly one hour radio show on Wairarapa's Arrow FM 92.7 in conjunction with RapaFM in Pader District, Northern Uganda.
  • South Wairarapa Rotary Club have begun planning the sending of a container full of supplies to Rackoko and Awere villages for Christmas.
  • 12 children have been found sponsors here and will be sponsored directly. At this stage I will manage the money transfers but it is envisaged that this will be done through either a Lions or Rotary Club down the line while allowing free communication between sponsors and their sponsored children and families.
  • Coverage has been gained in community newspapers, daily newspapers, local radio and national radio.
If anyone wants to follow this journey Facebook is best:
http://www.facebook.com/400x100club?hc_location=stream or my personal page here: http://www.facebook.com/geoffwalkernz

Here is a link to a podcast last night: feed://www.radionz.co.nz/podcasts/nights.rss

This year I will be:
  • 16th/17th May – photographing Mr Francis Odida (who is my host) being crowned king of his clan in Rackoko village.
  • July – presenting a three day workshop for photographers at the first Uganda Film Festival International.
  • August - “Revelations” project in Pader District. This is taking a series of photographs of people who have never had a photograph taken, returning a week later with a print of their portrait in an envelope and capturing the moment they open the envelope and see their image for the first time. This is aimed at an international market.
  • September – an exhibition of portraits from last years visit in Kampala is in the planning.
  • The free distribution to the subjects of photographs taken last year and this.

If you want to know more email me..... geoffwalkernz@gmail.com

Amazing times!!!:wink:

Geoff - best of luck to you, and I'll look forward to seeing the images you get on your trip. I really enjoyed seeing the pics from your last trip there. I think this is a great project that you have going. Unfortunately, I won't be able to follow as I don't (won't) do facebook. But I'll certainly be interested in seeing what you post here. Have fun! :smile:

Geoff - best of luck to you, and I'll look forward to seeing the images you get on your trip. I really enjoyed seeing the pics from your last trip there. I think this is a great project that you have going. Unfortunately, I won't be able to follow as I don't (won't) do facebook. But I'll certainly be interested in seeing what you post here. Have fun! :smile:

Cheers Fred, I hope to have a blog running as well but had difficulties with that last time. If I get it running I'll link it here!!!:smile:

And BTW I met a lovely Ugandan lady Irene there last year and in Jan 2014 we are getting married in her village of Awere............... :wink:

Cheers Fred, I hope to have a blog running as well but had difficulties with that last time. If I get it running I'll link it here!!!:smile:

And BTW I met a lovely Ugandan lady Irene there last year and in Jan 2014 we are getting married in her village of Awere............... :wink:

Wow! that is awesome! Congratulations Geoff. (on the marriage, not the blog :wink:)

Wow! that is awesome! Congratulations Geoff. (on the marriage, not the blog :wink:)

Funny old world isn't it Fred.... I would never have dreamed of this but there ya go!! BTW everyone is welcome, if you would like to visit Africa this is a great opportunity to see something different and cultural.:smile:

Geoff, this is all awesome, and I will try to follow you as best I can. As a teacher, I am especially interested/excited about the contact between the schoolchildren, etc. Just a couple of curiosity questions: What are you doing this for, and how did you get into this? Is this personal, work related, church related?

Geoff, this is all awesome, and I will try to follow you as best I can. As a teacher, I am especially interested/excited about the contact between the schoolchildren, etc. Just a couple of curiosity questions: What are you doing this for, and how did you get into this? Is this personal, work related, church related?

Thanks Shaun, the contact between schools is particularly exciting I believe.
How did I get into this? Well a Danish lady called Berit worked in my Nikon Photo Centre here in the late 1980's and we are still good friends. She has arranged sponsors for children from Denmark for as she calls it "the best hobby in the world". Additionally Berit has managed the filling of 11 x 40' containers of supplies from Denmark to Northern Uganda. Well last year she told me it may be her last visit to Uganda and I had promised to go and take pictures sometime so thought I had better make it!!!
The people in Uganda were so nice to me and my images reflect that I hope. I met a beautiful lady who happens to like me as well so now it has all just snowballed with people here keen on seeing my pics and hearing about Uganda. Everything else has just fallen into place with little effort through peoples generosity.
So it is personal and not work although as I explain my life to people here when asked - "I have a life, I do what I love and that is not work at all but a simple pleasure. My life is my work and my life is a work."
I have no connection to any religion at all, that is not my philosophy, I believe that people are great, most just need reminding!!
My signature line sums it up!!:wink:

And here is a pic of Irene and me!!!
GW2012-55341.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Geoff, congratulations all round! I had missed hearing the interview with Bryan Crump, so it was good to have the link to hear you talking about things in detail. I am very impressed with all the connections that are being made and the practical help that is being given, and I reckon that when people have the opportunity to be generous it helps in both directions - the givers receive and the receivers give. Needless to say, warm wishes for a wonderful life together to you and your beautiful wife-to-be!

Geoff, congratulations all round! I had missed hearing the interview with Bryan Crump, so it was good to have the link to hear you talking about things in detail. I am very impressed with all the connections that are being made and the practical help that is being given, and I reckon that when people have the opportunity to be generous it helps in both directions - the givers receive and the receivers give. Needless to say, warm wishes for a wonderful life together to you and your beautiful wife-to-be!

Thanks Helen, I think we are on the same wavelength!! :smile:
You are more than welcome at the wedding of course!!:biggrin:

Geoff,
This is so totally cool.............
Have big fun my friend

Cabin

Geoff,
This is so totally cool.............
Have big fun my friend

Cabin
Thanks, it is all a bit surreal but such an brilliant experience.

This is great Geoff!

It will be a wonderful experience!

Thanks Phil, my GP and his artist wife who are friends are coming to the wedding. Craig is going to spend time at the medical centre so they can work a plan for him to return later in the year for his 3 month sabbatical and really do some productive stuff!!!

DSC06775.jpg

DSC06776.jpg

DSC06778.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06792.jpg

DSC06774.jpg

We would welcome you too Phil!!!! :wink::biggrin:
As I've said anyone who wants to contribute with anything in anyway just PM or email me. It's a case of the more the merrier!!:biggrin:

Real Name
Randy
you are an amazing human being buddy !

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I wish you the best, Geoff, with your humanitarian efforts and with your upcoming wedding and new life. Congratulations!

May I too wish Irene and you happy for January 2014?

Wow, an amazing schedule and full life awaits you, enjoy! :smile:

you are an amazing human being buddy !
Randy, thank you I have been given a wonderful opportunity. I have a room saved for you in January and some wildlife ready and waiting. :smile:
Thank you! I will keep this in my 'to do list'. I won't be able to come this year though.
Awesome Phil, next year will be fine. :wink: I'll let you know when my GP has arranged his visit and maybe you could co-ordinate. :smile:
Very happy for you, Geoff - things often have a way of turning out OK, don't they?

And thanks for sharing a photo of the lovely Irene!

All the best to you, buddy.
Thanks Eric, yes life has a way of turning out especially when we try not to drive it!!!:biggrin:
May I too wish Irene and you happy for January 2014?

Wow, an amazing schedule and full life awaits you, enjoy! :smile:
Thanks mate, yes January 2014 is the date and it is all my dreams come true and more.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom