Update on Viera Wetlands

In case this place is in anyone's plans.
FB_IMG_1616081306173.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is very sad to hear, but understandable from my own experiences when visiting Viera. The last time I was there I had a feeling something like this was bound to happen given the type of traffic and disregard for others being shown when driving around the ponds. Too bad, it was always one of my favorites places to visit. With more and more people with time on their hands we're seeing crowds that we've never seen before in all of the national parks, and just about any recreation area. I'm not big on crowds and it's getting more difficult every year to find areas where you don't feel crowded.

What a shame. The last time I visited Viera the roads were closed. At first I thought this wasn't such a bad thing as I didn't mind hiking back to some good spots and having the roads closed definitely cut back on the crowds. But when an incredible sunset was underway I had to miss it in order to give myself enough time to exit before the facility closed.

I echo the sentiment already posted. A little common courtesy is devoid in some folks. And what really bothers me is some folks just sit there even when asked to move over - "Gee thanks for your courtesy" (2 years ago I followed an older lady (w/FL plates) and she had no patience for the road hog in front of her..she got out of her car, had her say, came back to her car but the clod in front still hadn't moved so she started yelling and giving him the bird - she had to get quite annoying (tho entertaining to me) to get that guy to move.

I wish they could have had those vehicles towed away at owners expense rather than shutdown all traffic but they're just trying to do their jobs and don't need this kind of daily hassle....

My last trip thru Viera was last month but my 500/4e failed to AF on either my D850 or D500 so I didn't get much done that morning. But this news means carrying heavy gear over a goodly distance to get to where the birds normally are. On the plus side they'll be fewer people and probably more birds.....

I'll have to try carrying the D850/500e over the shoulder while riding my bicycle....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom