UPDATE: Owner of a Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of buying the wagon version of the WRX, and I was wondering if anybody currently has this car? I'm going to make it my all utility sports/photographer/camping vehicle. I just wanted to get driver opinions, on what you like on the car or don't like. Thanks! :tongue:

I really want this though!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  2. I don't have that vehicule but I have the Subaru Outback since 1997.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You're showing the 300 hp WRX STI Model, for which they don't make a wagon version. Both my teenagers think the STI is the coolest of the coolest. They do make a 250 hp Outback XT though. I do have to question your need for full time AWD living in LA though.

4. ero2

ero2 Guest

Just got rid of mine, too much trouble and too much insurance. I had a 4dr sedan version, I don't think the wagon what get you in as much trouble. I LOVED THAT CAR!!!!!! I redid the exhaust from the uppipe back, and that thing flew, but would also blow fireballs sometimes :) But that is a legal issue. Smoked many, many much more expensive cars, audi's, porsches, etc. The reason I said trouble is because people would often try to race me when I had my 8 year old nephew in the car, would follow me home sometimes for 20 miles or more trying to race, it was just a hassle, it really made a fun car not so fun. But I live in LA, rice rocket capital of the north america, so...if you don't live in LA you will love it. They handle like a dream, stop on a dime, but stock the pick up is not super impressive, it's nice, but to get it going the turbo kicks in around 3800 at full boost, and doesn't start boosting until around 3200-3350 RPMs. Mine made full boost at 2100 ;) The exhaust note of the boxxer engine is my favorite exhaust in the world, most of the time I didn't even listen to the radio. My driving record is perfect, no tickets, etc, and when I traded in my 04 wrx for an 05 silverado 1500 my insurance dropped 1800 dollars a year, but I am 23, so that might be part of it. Well, enough blabbering, it is a fantastic car, buy one, and take a pic for me, and do a 0-60 in 5.4 run for me too :)

5. ero2

ero2 Guest

Then you, my friend, have never driven down any of our canyons in an all wheel drive car at 5a.m. I am not a street racer, but I would get up at 5a.m and go drive the canyons just for the heck of it. Man, nothing better than an AWD going down malbu canyon rd.

6. ero2

ero2 Guest

Personally, I like the old 05 STI's better. And I may be a minority, but if I got an STI, I would get a wingless trunk, that thing is horrid.

7. ero2

ero2 Guest

well look at me, I am a posting machine. I see that you are in LA, so...a couple of things. 1. if it doesn't like riced out people won't usually bother you
    2. Our gas in CA is the worst gas in the world (well, the country at least), our 91 is like everyone else's 87, so...your engine may knock, ping, or detonate. The CA wrx's run a special tune for our crappy gas (at least what I was told), so they don't, which may be why my buddies in WV felt a lot faster stock.

for more info though and where I learned all I know from check out clubwrx.net and nasioc.com

and did I mention BUY ONE! YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  8. I don't drive one, but a work colleague of mine owns one. He's owned a selection of vehicles including a Lotus Esprit and he is of the opinion that the Scooby-doo is the best car he's ever driven. He's on his second one now - with all the Kevlar extra's.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    While I would argue that AWD is superior to FWD in it's handling characteristics, I know of several guys out in SoCal who make weekly ealry morning canyon runs in their RWD sportscars. They happen to think RWD is the best.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Just to set you straight, all those extras you mention are most likely CF (Carbon Fibre). How do I know this? My 18 y.o. has used up much his summer earnings for a bunch of that stuff on his Tiburon, eg, Instrument Dial surround, Shift Knob, Door Handle Surround, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  11. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
  12. ero2

ero2 Guest

one other cool thing about scooby owners, almost everyone waves to ya, tells ya nice ride, they are awesome to each other. They will stop and help ya with a flat, and are always down to talk cars.

13. Yea I come from the old school of fixed up cars, mimimal style with minimal flair has always been my preference back when I used to street race. Yeah, CA gas sucks, the Canadians get it best with their ultra premium 96 octane! For my line of work, I am so wanting a wagon version. It's the perfect combo of utility and performance, though if I find a sedan, I'll most definitely pick that up if the price is right!

14. Coincedentally, I'm going to be trading in my '01 Nissan Sentra for probably a used scooby this upcoming summer as a graduation gift to myself! They are fantastic cars, and the AWD will help during the winter months here as well. I had been into modding, but once I started getting more into photography, I had to sacrfice the Sentra. Very good choice with the STi, too!

untitled3.
    View attachment 15400
    View attachment 15401

15. Clean Sentra! I remember the old early ninety sentras were actually great cars to fix up. The SE-R version had a strong engine that was great for all-motor. I wish I could afford an STI, so like you I'm looking for a used Scooby as well! I'm most likely going to go the theft-recovery/salvage route for my car (in fact most my cars are theft-recovery :tongue: ) It's going to be the ultimate...paparazzi, um I mean photographer's vehicle. :cool:

16. ero2

ero2 Guest

you can put a spy camera in the hood scoop :biggrin:

17. Those ol' SR20DE engines! I actually have the SR20 in my Sentra as well. From '00 to '01, Nissan made the Sentra SE, complete with the SR20 underneath the hood. My brother bought one, and I was so impressed with it that I bought one of my own. Him and I used to work on each other's cars all the time. It was good stuff (wish I had pics of his sentra). My Sentra already has been almost been stolen. They tried to pry open the handle on my driver's side door, but I guess gave up. I just wish I knew who did it though. Anyway, definitely post up pics when you get your scooby. You have a color that you have your mind set on?

18. Finally got my WRX!

I'm now a proud owner of a 2002 WRX sport wagon with bug eyes! The car is actually a theft recovery salvage that was stripped for parts, but had the engine left intact. The car was rebuilt and ended up in my possession! Anyways, the car is a 5 speed, has 60k miles on the motor, short shifter and what appears to be a custom exhaust with 3 inch piping. The car was thoroughly checked and runs smooth and quick.

The first order of business is to get a keyless entry system and alarm and also tinted windows all around! Though I can't wait to bring this car to the twisties in the Hollywood hills! I think I'll stick to OEM parts for most my upgrades: www.subarugenuineparts.com

This is the only photo I have of it so far, but will post pictures once I clean it up a bit!
    [​IMG]

PS - The car isn't really that low, I was playing with photoshop to see how it'd look with some suspension mods! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

20. Thanks Paul! I was going to buy an SUV for work, but those V6/V8 motors are such gas guzzlers! The WRX wagon is a perfect combination of utility and performance.