UPDATED 8/15 with New Pics Pg 5... My latest model shoot-- Ashley (Image Heavy)

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
I met a friend of mine at a local community college's horticultural gardens the other day for a photo shoot. I've been wanting to shoot her for quite a while now, and finally got the chance. Ashley is a full time nurse, but has been modeling for about 10 years now. She was very easy to work with, even though it was hot and muggy all morning. I can't wait to have another session with her. Lemme know what you think. All shot using natural light with the D3 and the "outdated" 70-200/2.8 VR lens. :wink:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice set. Nothing really to point out after a real quick look. Colors look great, subject isolation is tight and right. No blown highlights. I prefer the look of the pics when she's not in a bikini top, but that's just me.

Great work.

I think they look great. I really like the shot with her on the bench. I'm not sure why, the pose, the colors... I'm not sure. But great set all around. Can't wait to see the next one.

Very nice set. Nothing really to point out after a real quick look. Colors look great, subject isolation is tight and right. No blown highlights. I prefer the look of the pics when she's not in a bikini top, but that's just me.

Great work.
Thank you!

I think they look great. I really like the shot with her on the bench. I'm not sure why, the pose, the colors... I'm not sure. But great set all around. Can't wait to see the next one.
Yeah, that's one of my favs too. I just love that dress. I think my absolute favorite is the one of her in the dress under the archway. Sexy and seductive. :wink:

Nice work on all of these. Great job!
Were you using a reflector also?
Thank you. Yeah, I used a reflector for most, if not all of these shots. many, like the one under the vineyard trellis (blue and white shirt/white shorts) had her in the dark on an overcast day. I had to crank up the ISO to 1000 and hold a reflector just outside the trellis to hit her with some light.

The exposures and poses are all good. Spot on technically, but in the first 8 shots, Ashley is trying so hard to look hot that it's painful. As demonstrated in this sample, her facial expressions weren't appealing.

But you finally "connected" on shots 9-11. In that sequence she was relaxed and the mood was flirty instead of forced-sexy. It brought Ashley's charming personality into play, and makes her look very sexy.

I like the b&w toning in the final shot, but wish more of the model was in the frame.

Imho.

#10&11 the pose shows a body line above her waist, that if she changed the pose it wouldn't show.they all are very nice. I could use that outdated 70-200,it's junk now that it's outdated.LOL

uncle frank wrot
The exposures and poses are all good. Spot on technically, but in the first 8 shots, Ashley is trying so hard to look hot that it's painful. As demonstrated in this sample, her facial expressions weren't appealing......
But you finally "connected" on shots 9-11. In that sequence she was relaxed and the mood was flirty instead of forced-sexy. It brought Ashley's charming personality into play, and makes her look very sexy.
I agree totally on this. very good technich... in the end it works great :)

I like the last shot. It is more old school. Nice series,good lighting and color.
Thanks. I love long legs and high heels, so I wanted to take a photo of just that... long legs and high heels.

The exposures and poses are all good. Spot on technically, but in the first 8 shots, Ashley is trying so hard to look hot that it's painful. As demonstrated in this sample, her facial expressions weren't appealing.

http://www.curtisphotonc.com/photos/606952429_CLikG-XL.jpg

http://www.curtisphotonc.com/photos/606952336_ejNEw-XL.jpg

[IMG]http://www.curtisphotonc.com/photos/606952311_kgkek-XL.jpg

[IMG]http://www.curtisphotonc.com/photos/606952278_74dBn-XL.jpg[/quote]

Thanks Frank. I know exactly what you mean. I think the "I'm hot" facial expressions just comes with the model territory. I found her doing it quite a bit. I like the expressions in those shots much better as well, and I told her that. Funny thing is though, they're actually completely backwards in the order they were shot, so the ones with the better expressions were shot before the ones without. I guess they just got uploaded to my smugmug account backwards. I do have more photos with the more connected expressions. In all, I shot over 1000 shots. Of course, many of those were 2 or 3 shot bursts, but still, LOL... It's a lot of photos for a 5 hour session.

[quote]I like the b&w toning in the final shot, but wish more of the model was in the frame.

http://www.curtisphotonc.com/photos/606952240_qRALP-XL.jpg

Imho.
Yeah, I really just wanted the photo to be about her legs. I had seen a similar shot somewhere, and kinda tried to replicate it. Like I said above, I love long legs and high heels. Very sexy. :wink:

#10&11 the pose shows a body line above her waist, that if she changed the pose it wouldn't show.they all are very nice. I could use that outdated 70-200,it's junk now that it's outdated.LOL
Yeah, I noticed that, and even contemplated removing it in photoshop. Just didn't feel like spending that much time on it. I didn't know how else to pose her and still get that "rear end facing the camera with her looking over her shoulder at me" look, without causing that line.

I agree totally on this. very good technich... in the end it works great :)
Thanks.

Nice shots! The setting for the first few does not work for me - the bright walk way and the blue gate in the back is distracting - glad to see you have the wooden door shots - the rest look great!

Nurse ah? Hum...I feel sick:wink: Nice stuff here.
Tell me about it. Cough cough...

Nice set! My favorite is #4, followed by 9 and 10. And I would have had to shoot that last pic too, for the same reasons you listed.
Thanks

Nice shots! The setting for the first few does not work for me - the bright walk way and the blue gate in the back is distracting - glad to see you have the wooden door shots - the rest look great!
Yeah, I wish the background hadn't been so bright, but we lost our cloud cover about 15 minutes prior, and it was about 2:30 in the afternoon, so the sun was high and bright. Oh well.

Very nice series....beautiful model as well!
Thank you, and I agree ref the model. :wink:

I hope this is not your last shoot. JK Great series.
Definitely not. I plan on doing several more shoots with her if she's game.:biggrin:

Honestly, I don't like the look of her open mouth in 1-3 and 5. My favorite is probably #4. Take my opinion for what it is worth, but she looks better smiling or with her mouth closed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom