Updated 80-400VR?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by flygirl1, May 20, 2007.

1. Has anyone heard of Nikon coming out with a update on this lens? The range is great but it has the older VR as compard to the 70-300VR.

Cheers all
    nancy

2. Ciao Nancy
    no idea (no clue, as you say) about it but I too hope to see something longer and a bit faster (with AF-S and VRII) in that range..

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I have not heard anything about it. The venerable 80-400VR continues to churn out awesome images. If that is the range you need, it is still a great lens and will really deliver tack sharp images.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    It needs AF-S more than VRII, although I expect the next upgrade for it will feature both. No idea when Nikon will update it or even whether they will!

5. Not sure why it's taking them so long. I would think it would be a big seller. I would buy one.

6. Me too. Why are we always looking for another lens to spend our money on:confused::tongue::biggrin:.

All the best
    Nancy

7. No argument about the utility of AFS, especially with the advent of the D40 and D40x. BUT consider:

- VR vs VR II is only one stop (claimed 3 stops vs claimed 4 stops).
    - Focusing speed is dependent on both the mechanism (AFS vs screwdriver, pretty obvious to us) and how far the elements have to go to achieve focus (much less obvious to users). You'd have to reformulate the lens, possibly substantially, to make this one focus a lot faster, regardless of mechanism. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's hardly a nobrainer, and I suspect that Nikon's lens engineers have their hands full at the moment.