Updated 80-400VR?

Has anyone heard of Nikon coming out with a update on this lens? The range is great but it has the older VR as compard to the 70-300VR.

Cheers all
nancy

Has anyone heard of Nikon coming out with a update on this lens? The range is great but it has the older VR as compard to the 70-300VR.

Cheers all
nancy
I have not heard anything about it. The venerable 80-400VR continues to churn out awesome images. If that is the range you need, it is still a great lens and will really deliver tack sharp images.

It needs AF-S more than VRII, although I expect the next upgrade for it will feature both. No idea when Nikon will update it or even whether they will!

No argument about the utility of AFS, especially with the advent of the D40 and D40x. BUT consider:

- VR vs VR II is only one stop (claimed 3 stops vs claimed 4 stops).
- Focusing speed is dependent on both the mechanism (AFS vs screwdriver, pretty obvious to us) and how far the elements have to go to achieve focus (much less obvious to users). You'd have to reformulate the lens, possibly substantially, to make this one focus a lot faster, regardless of mechanism. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's hardly a nobrainer, and I suspect that Nikon's lens engineers have their hands full at the moment.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom