Updated: Back from a short Alaska trip...

Hi folks,

I'm back from a short hiatus with the Nikon Cafe. I just spent a few days in beautiful Alaska for a fishing trip with some friends, doubling up as a photo expedition for me. I took the D2H, the D70, and an assortment of lenses, with the most used 70-200VR + 1.7TC and Tokina 12-24, nearly glued to the D2H and D70 respectively, all in a backpack (23 lbs!) carried everywhere, including primarily on the fishing boat. This was a great trip on many fronts and I am faced now with sorting and processing through hundreds of images, 3.5GB worth, so it'll take a while and I plan on posting some here over the coming week(s) depending on your interest.

The setting is the little town of Craig on the Prince of Wales Island.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The main purpose was of course fishing, and having a good time amongst friends. Mission accomplished!...

... and you can tell by the grin on this guy's face 8) :lol:

A secondary motivation for me was to capture some wildlife and beautiful scenery, weather, animals and skills permitting... I have to say that shooting wildlife from a moving boat in a 3 foot sea, even with the VR in active mode is... challenging, to say the least. I managed to get this one, on shore, except my shutter speed was not nearly high enough: I didn't react quickly enough to change it. These guys are fast!!

More later...

Update: I am adding links to the other posts in the various forums here.
Transportation
Eagles
More eagles
Landscapes
Sea mammals

Last edited by a moderator:
Very beautiful.. What a wonderful experience.

Look fow ard to all alaska images.

Thank for sharing

WOW
My kind of trip fishing and photography doesnt get much better, nice catch you get there, and looks like a lot of nice pictures too cant wait to see some more

Salmon & halibut!!! That's an awesome haul. Heh good to see another fisherman on the forums, going out for rockcod this weekend (start of the season).

Looks like you had a goood time. Ive alwas wanted to go to Alaska. I hear the mosquitoes are pretty bad in the summer.

Great photo-ops in Alaska, Philippe! I'll look forward to seeing your complete gallery... and let me know if you need any help consuming that fish before it spoils :mrgreen:.

Wow,
your pics are really really good, what wonderful memories they will allow you to share.

If I could make a suggestion, since you are bringing serious gear anyway, add an SB-800 (or two, they are handy). Fill flash for under hat brims, etc. and for the portraits.

I think the first picture is post card perfect.

Thanks folks. As soon as I get other photos processed, I'll post some in the respective categories such as animals, people, landscape, etc... with a reference to this thread.

Gale, Mike, Virtualmike and biggstr6, it was a very nice bit of time off: I enjoyed this trip very much, and the result (fish and pictures) will last a long time! :p :lol: The bugs weren't too bad, but that's because they can't really go out to the ocean! :) :lol:

Frank, there is no hurry with the fish... it's vacuum-sealed and frozen to last a year or more! :twisted:

Twig, you know what? I had actually packed a flash and a few other gadgets in that 23 lbs backpack, but for some reason never used it... Oh, well... Next time? ;-)

I like the second picture sharp and colorful. When I look at your third picture he looks a lot like my brother great resemblance.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom