Updated roadmap for Z System's Lenses

24-105 (and likely f/4) will be a real useful lens (and probably optically superior to the F-mount 24-120/4). I'm also hoping the 100-400 will be an f/4 (but I'm guessing it may be an f/4-f/5.6).

At some point I'll jump into the Z cams and ditch my D500. Not yet tho as Z-cams need better AF speed. In the meantime let the lens lineup continue to expand.

I guess that Nikon decided that the 24-120 was just a bit long to maintain good optical quality all the way, and scaled back to a doable 24-105. Pity, as I like the 24-120 range.

@davidzvi I am sure that there will be a 70-200/4. There was enough demand for them to make it in F mount, so I predict Nikon will also make it in Z mount. Not all of us want to carry the 2x heavier f/2.8 lens. And they have the 24-70/4, so the 70-200/4 as a long companion makes sense, as an alternate to the f/2.8 series lenses.

I'm thinking a well implemented 100-400 f/xx would scratch my itch much better than a 70-200/4. But, they should have had a 70-200/4 on the roadmap all along.

I'm thinking a well implemented 100-400 f/xx would scratch my itch much better than a 70-200/4. But, they should have had a 70-200/4 on the roadmap all along.
My f mount 70-200/f4 will cover most of my telephoto needs, however I am hoping to move to the coast next year so a 100-400 may work better if I get into BIF or sea life photography, we will see how the lens performs and what price it settles down at.

Somewhere in my ageing memory rests a comment that I heard or read somewhere a year or so ago, Nikon's 70-200/f4 is Nikon's least loved zoom lens, although it has light weight, excellent sharpness, top draw AF, good VR, it has never captured the imagination of the public who either go f2.8 or pick something like the 80-400 or 3rd party equivalent.

My f mount 70-200/f4 will cover most of my telephoto needs, however I am hoping to move to the coast next year so a 100-400 may work better if I get into BIF or sea life photography, we will see how the lens performs and what price it settles down at.

Somewhere in my ageing memory rests a comment that I heard or read somewhere a year or so ago, Nikon's 70-200/f4 is Nikon's least loved zoom lens, although it has light weight, excellent sharpness, top draw AF, good VR, it has never captured the imagination of the public who either go f2.8 or pick something like the 80-400 or 3rd party equivalent.
Yeah the f/4 lens is like the 2nd child living in the shadows of #1.
The f/2.8 is and has been the preferred lens. But that is for people where the company buys the lens, not them, or have a business to write it off against.
If you have to buy it yourself (no photo income to off-set the cost) and carry it all day (weight), the cheaper lighter f/4 makes more sense. But there will always be the 0.5% who have the money to buy top end pro gear for their hobby.

But hey, you are not a serious photographer unless you have the f/2.8 lens. So it is also a status symbol.
Just like you are not a serious photographer unless you are shooting a mid/high end FX camera.

Well, I think the 70-200 f4 is a superb lens, as the examples showing in the café threads show, and I was carefully putting my pennies away to get one. Then Nikon brought out the new 70-300 AF-P. That was good enough for me. There are times, though, that I still think about the 70-200 f4...

It is all about "fitness for task."
  • If I am shooting in lowish light, the old saying still applies: "in low light, FAST glass wins." And I want the f/2.8 lens.
  • If all I shoot is daylight shots, the slower 70-300 AF-P would be a great lens.
  • If I am hand-holding for 5 hours, I do NOT want the heavy f/2.8 lens.
  • If I am traveling, I want a compact/light lens, not a large/heavy lens.
  • For most of my high school yearbook students, the 80-200/2.8 is TOO HEAVY, and thus does not get used.

I think it is official from Nikon, but it has this statement: "Lenses to be announced are indicated in yellow."
Does that just indicate a planned lens, but not the official announcement of that lens?

I like how it shows how the lenses in the lineup/landscape relates to each other.

But frustratingly, it is not a time roadmap. So we don't know the planned release dates/year of the yellow lenses.

Set some money by if this verifies; it pretty well fills out my wish list. It's disappointing, however, that there are no macro lenses on this list.
Yep......this continued lack of a macro Z lens is a sticking-point for me. Sorry, Nikon, you're still pushing me away and I'm gazing more intently at Sony, which offers a gorgeous 90mm macro among other treats..... I've been dragging my heels about doing anything, kind of hoping that Nikon would be soon adding a macro to their Z lenses but that doesn't seem to be happening. No, I do not want to use the FTZ adapter and I think it only would work with one of my macro lenses and not too many of my others anyway. Sigh. I really prefer native lenses to using adapters.

It is looking more and more as though at some point I'll be selling or trading in all my Nikon gear for a Sony FF body and two or three lenses..... Sony makes a very nice 24-105 and they also offer a bunch of other lenses, including several macros, which would fit into my shooting style and preferences. Having shot Nikon since the late 1970's the idea of totally saying goodbye is really daunting.....

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom