Updated roadmap for Z System's Lenses

"Lenses to Be Announced in Yellow...." Announced WHEN?
It says to 2021, but that does not say announced or available.
Worst case would be "announced" by end of 2021, availability some time later.

BTW, this is only a 2 year window, from 2019 to 2021.
We are not seeing the 5+ year planning window.
Some of the expected lenses are not shown because I think they are outside of the 2 year window.

Thanks, Jim! Trouble is, at least for me, we still have no indication of when one or more macro lenses might actually be announced.... This year? Next year? Two years from now?
So far, the lenses have “mostly” been announced in the order they appear on the map. I’d suggest seeing where they appear and extrapolate from there. You’ll probably get close.

Yeah the f/4 lens is like the 2nd child living in the shadows of #1.
The f/2.8 is and has been the preferred lens. But that is for people where the company buys the lens, not them, or have a business to write it off against.
If you have to buy it yourself (no photo income to off-set the cost) and carry it all day (weight), the cheaper lighter f/4 makes more sense. But there will always be the 0.5% who have the money to buy top end pro gear for their hobby.

But hey, you are not a serious photographer unless you have the f/2.8 lens. So it is also a status symbol.
Just like you are not a serious photographer unless you are shooting a mid/high end FX camera.
Wow, that’s a pretty broad brush you’re painting with. I have the 2.8. I’m not a professional, and no one is buying it for me. I’m passionate enough about photography that it’s completely worth it to save and buy the faster lens due to the superior rendering of the final image. I could not care less how “pro” it looks; and in fact I’m very conscious about being too conspicuous when out shooting around people. Sorry, but your assessment is off the mark.

Might want to check on that Tamron's compatibility
Terri has already reported that it works fine in manual focus mode when used with the FTZ adaptor. I always use my macro lens for desktop photography, on a tripod and in manual focus mode. I'll need the autofocus when I get into in-camera focus bracketing.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
No, I do not want to use the FTZ adapter and I think it only would work with one of my macro lenses and not too many of my others anyway. Sigh. I really prefer native lenses to using adapters.
I've always wondered why people feel this way. The FTZ is never meant to be a "forever" solution. It's mean to be a stop-gap solution for current Nikon owners while Nikon develops a lens portfolio from scratch.

I shoot my 58/1.4, 85/1.4, 70-200/2.8, and 300/2.8 on the FTZ all the time, and they work great.

It is looking more and more as though at some point I'll be selling or trading in all my Nikon gear for a Sony FF body and two or three lenses..... Sony makes a very nice 24-105 and they also offer a bunch of other lenses, including several macros, which would fit into my shooting style and preferences.
Life's short. Do what makes you happy. Sell your Nikon gear, buy Sony, and get back to shooting. No point in standing around on the sidelines wishing for something when there's already a manufacturer out there that's making what you want.

I've always wondered why people feel this way. The FTZ is never meant to be a "forever" solution. It's mean to be a stop-gap solution for current Nikon owners while Nikon develops a lens portfolio from scratch.

I shoot my 58/1.4, 85/1.4, 70-200/2.8, and 300/2.8 on the FTZ all the time, and they work great.

Life's short. Do what makes you happy. Sell your Nikon gear, buy Sony, and get back to shooting. No point in standing around on the sidelines wishing for something when there's already a manufacturer out there that's making what you want.

My sentiments exactly! I've got a couple of other expensive priorities coming up and then.....maybe I'll finally break my "analysis paralysis" and just DO it! :) I"ve been dawdling about this for over a year now. I already know exactly what I want in the Sony body and lenses, and there is little point in waiting around much longer -- at the rate I've been going, if I keep waffling, Sony will be bringing out the A7R V!! LOL! :D

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
I'm intrigued by the two compact lenses -- 28 and 40 mm -- even though they're not S. 28mm would make a good walk-around lens, especially for street photography. And I'm wondering whether using the light-weight, affordable DX 50-250 on my Z6 in crop mode, at ~10 MP, for casual photography beyond the reach of my 24-70 f/4 would be a reasonable alternative to lugging around a massive full-frame back-breaker.

. . . And I'm wondering whether using the light-weight, affordable DX 50-250 on my Z6 in crop mode, at ~10 MP, for casual photography beyond the reach of my 24-70 f/4 would be a reasonable alternative to lugging around a massive full-frame back-breaker.
It IS.

As I've gotten older, the weight of the kit became a serious issue.
I switched to m4/3 as my primary lightweight kit.

I still shoot DX with a D7200, but I drew a line in the stand; I will not get a FX/DX lens longer than 300mm.
For anything longer than that, I switch to using my lighter m4/3 kit.
My small/light m4/3 75-300 is equivalent to using a big/heavy 150-600 on a FX camera.

Yes, I still lust after a FX camera, but not the weight of one.

I'm intrigued by the two compact lenses -- 28 and 40 mm -- even though they're not S. 28mm would make a good walk-around lens, especially for street photography. And I'm wondering whether using the light-weight, affordable DX 50-250 on my Z6 in crop mode, at ~10 MP, for casual photography beyond the reach of my 24-70 f/4 would be a reasonable alternative to lugging around a massive full-frame back-breaker.
I would consider the AF-P 70-300 FX lens, which is fairly lightweight and works great on the FTZ adapter. Should work great in DX mode as well for more versatility.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom