1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Updated version of DxO Photolab

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by Palouse, Dec 6, 2017.

1. A good minor update, although its one that should've been that at launch TBH. I'm still waiting for the update that adds the radial filter.

2. The only thing that's holding me back from switching to this for everything is there's no edit history (ala lightroom) that I can find so I can track my edits on any given photo. I love where they are with this tho and I may just make the move full time and deal with not knowing (read remembering) what I did in any given order....

3. That's my one major complaint, as discussed in this thread.

Nevertheless, I decided to give it to myself as a birthday present yesterday.:D 

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I'm don't understand the need for edit history. I can always review or edit any of the settings in raw....and it doesn't matter the sequence. And in PS I always work in layers so I can see what I did and edit, delete or add adjustments easily. Can someone share why they find edit history so valuable?

5. I wonder if there is confusion about the meaning of the term, edit history. For me, it is a display of the settings in the chronological order they were made. For some, I can easily imagine that it might simply be a display of the settings with no information about the order they were made. Personally, I would most definitely want to access the settings but would never have a need for the order they were made.

It would be helpful if one of the users of DXO PhotoLab would clarify whether the settings of a saved, edited image file can be accessed and adjusted.

6. It's certainly not essential...but a convenience. Occasionally I will be close to satisfied with an image but decide to try a couple or three more adjustments. Then I decide that didn't help. It's convenient just to be able to click three steps back and be where I was before messing it up.

Also, it tells me whether I've exported the raw file to jpeg.

Yes, all adjustments are visible, just not in the order in which they were made. And DxO PhotoLab has so many possible adjustments it sometimes takes a bit of searching to find everything that has been done. With an edit history, you have a step-by-step record so it's very easy to see.

7. At least in the windows version: cntl-Z (undo) will step back one change at a time, don't know how deep but I've not hit a limit

cntrl Y is redo

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. Yeah - and I *generally* use that more than I do actually looking at the history, but it's nice to have it visible. I have a show I'm shooting on NYE and plan on doing most post in DXO - we'll see how it turns out... :D 

9. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    The edit history will always be available in the sidecar file, but will not be a chronological recording but rather a recording of the slider settings at end of play. The order of the sidecar information will be that which the application needs not necessarily the order you applied. Not convenient in comparison perhaps but if I foul up in editing I should know what I need to do to correct.

I suppose you could edit this information if required but cannot envisage any scenario where this would be of useful.

It would be nice to see more comprehensive options as exist PS to record work done and time spent on an image (for charging purposes) in a seperate file

10. How does someone see the sidecar
    I don’t think anyone wants to edit the info

11. Where are all adjustments visible

12. I don’t understand ‘review or edit settings in raw’ or what layers in ps has to do with changes made in dx0

I want to see the history so I can see what was done, lol

13. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    You can only view the sidecar in a seperate application. If you have a spreadsheet app. that is probably best or you can view in any old text editor. DXO stores the sidecars with a .dop extension whereas Adobe stores as .xmp. These files contain around 300+ instructions specific to the raw editor in use. A typical example:

SidecarDXO_ACR.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14. You have to scroll down through the adjustment palettes and see which sliders have been moved.

Same here, and just scrolling through the adjustments is rather awkward.

15. lol, that doesn't count as history

16. not useful to a photographer processing an image

17. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Absolutely agree. If anyone does need it then it must be included in the application, but then AFAIK the history is not applied cumulatively, so may not be that important to some.

All that is acted on in the rendering is the final slider position so although the order you arrived at a particular rendering may be back and forth e.g. add exposure, increase Red Hue and luminance, add more exposure the history record this but the net result will be the same if you just set the sliders to the final value anyway. The only advantage I can think of is that you can go back to a previous step and start again from that point

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Count me as one of such. As you noted, the order in which adjustments are applied is irrelevant to the outcome.

A difficulty software devs always face is from users of other program wanting them to implement things as the other program did/does but I would hope that DxO focuses on other stuff over adding a history palette in terms of priority.

For one, I would like the ability to bypass the image preview rendering entirely ... as NX2 did ;) 

19. I tend to finish an image before I move to next one.
    I very rarely come back to one.
    When I do, I see the settings of the tools I use. What has been done to the image is but a simple look at the tools.
    Granted, the sequence in which this has been done is not recorded.
    It is however recorded in the sequence of the tools I use.
    Don't forget the workspace is totally customizable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.