1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

UPDATED! with Images! PJ Shoot! Revolution March Washington DC, July 12

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Nacho, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

As some of you know, I like to shoot street rallies, social protest, activism, etc. In short, social texts and civic activism. I like photojournalism and documentary photography, and these events provide plenty of opportunity for telling stories, and for the kind of projects that spark and nourish my photographic imagination. Thus, I wonder if anybody else is interested in joining me at the following event:

Saturday, July 12, Ron Paul supporters will gather in Washington DC for a march/rally. The info. is as follows:

WHERE: North East Lawn, Washington Monument, Washington, D.C.
    WHEN: July 12th, 2008, 9:30AM
    ROUTE: Constitution Avenue. (see map on website)
    http://www.revolutionmarch.com/

I thought I'd go relatively early, walk alongside, and start documenting the event. The site claims they are promoting this event as a family event, so I don't expect any difficulty (sometimes in protests you have to watch for a bit more enthusiasm from participants!). There will be quite a few speakers at the rally.

The schedule is as follows:

9:30 AM Assemble on the North Lawn of the Washington Monument
    10:30 AM Begin march down Constitution Avenue. Rally begins at 11:00 AM.

If you cannot or don't feel like walking, head directly to the rally location at 11:00 AM: West Side of Capitol Hill

Full Disclosure: I am not attending, nor shooting, this rally as a political act. I am solely choosing to be a photographer and capture images of people engaged in democratic civic engagement. I like to shoot these kinds of things because this is the kind of photography that moves me, and I do professional academic, and increasingly artistic, projects from these engagements. At the same time I recognize that as photographers (pros, artists, etc.) we don't select subjects and shot opportunities without all that makes us who we are shaping our creative process. The richness and texture of the stories we tell photojournalistically depends (or not) on all that which we bring to the process. Nevertheless, I am not a partisan agent in this context.

Please post in this thread if you are interested in attending. We can then make plans regarding where to meet, good ideas for shooting (if this is your first rally, social protest, photojournalistic outing) etc. :smile:

Best Regards,

Nacho :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Nacho,

Thanks for the PM! :smile: Yes, I'm very interested. Although I have to say I'm a bit nervous, since I've never done this kind of shooting before... What focal length(s) would you suggest?

3. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Woohoo! That makes two

Thanks Kristin! Welcome! The following are two .pdf documents that I think speak to photojournalism, documentary, and reportage. The first one (Photographing Social Protest) is in very drafty mode, originally consisting of notes for my students (for a photo essay assignment) -- so take it with a huge grain of salt. What I want to do with it is to provide a brief introduction to what the photographer is likely to find in the basic social protest activity, understanding the social movement energy, and what it might mean for the photographer. It still needs a lot of work and you'll see that there are areas that still say under development:

http://www.willamette.edu/~ncordova/Photographing Social Protest.pdf

I'm also attaching a short essay I wrote a while back and recently updated, although not necessarily about social protest, rally, etc., might come in handy (it is about street photography and candid):

http://www.willamette.edu/~ncordova/Street Photography or Candid.pdf

In general, regarding focal length, it depends on what you want to capture. Most of the time I carry my 35-70mm 2.8D on my D300. I might put the 18-70mm on the D70, or even a wide angle lens if I expect I will need wide crowd shots. Otherwise, a 70-300mm VR is a fine lens also for getting a bit closer to some action. This is pretty much what I will carry with me, and my backpack with other kibbles and bits when I feel like carrying gear. Otherwise, I opt for quick and light.

Best Regards,

Nacho :smile:

4. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Hi Nacho, I too am very interestied in this type of photography. Washington has had some truly historic and fascinating protest marches in the past, and I have been fortunate to be present at a couple of the most significant ones: The Martin Luther King march in 1963 and a few anti-war protests during the turbulent sixities. as well as the Million Man March. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, my whole collection of photos and negatives was lost. I would enjoy meeting you on Juy 12 for this event if I can arrange it.

5. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Sanford, thanks for posting. I think it is awesome that you were present at those events. Yikes! shots lost! That definitely is a bummer. When I was a teenager I spent enough time shooting with my old but trusty Minolta SRT-201, but I misplaced and lost plenty of shots and negatives. Not that they were great shots, but I learned plenty and had interesting shots of the beach (in Puerto Rico).

Love to have you join us. So far I think KristinB, Sal, and you have expressed interest, and that sounds like a great group.

Thanks for posting, would love to hear your stories about those events!

gassho,

Nacho

6. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Don't want to let this get to the second page and forget about it! I will show up at the North Lawn of the Washington Monument by 9am and will follow the march to the rally site.

Should we meet at the North Lawn by 9:30am?

Best,

Nacho

7. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Sounds good to me! :smile:

8. As it turns out I have a flight Saturday. Wish I could make it.

9. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I'm working on Saturday. Otherwise, I would have joined the protesters and held up a sign saying "Free Nacho!"

LOL

10. Yo Nacho,
    Demos, too loud for me, but thanks for the invite....Yeah, enjoy your shooting and please post your best shot...:biggrin:
    sal

11. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    No Worries Sal!

I'll make sure to post as soon as I can after the event.

Jaws! The placard should say, Vote Nacho Libre! :smile:

Be well all,

N

12. Hey Nacho,
    Good Luck tomorrow...don't 4get to post...see ya too the day after tomorrow:biggrin:
    sal

13. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Enjoy it Nacho, wish I could be there too

14. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Revised Document

Hi Folks:

Here's a revised version of the photographing social protest document I had posted earlier. It is still in very rough draft mode, but for whatever it might be worth, here it is:

http://www.willamette.edu/~ncordova/protestphoto.pdf

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and any resources you know about that can be added to the list of resources.

Best Regards,

Nacho

15. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Ok Folks, for those interested or attending...

I will be at the Washington Monument by 9am, probably wearing a black shirt and a cap with a big W in the front.

My plan is to travel with the march to the rally point (North Lawn of the Capitol), watching what develops, and move toward the front of the crowd at the rally so that I can have better access to the stage and to the front crowd.

I'm interested in shots that capture the ethos of the event, and they are billing it specifically as a R-EVOL-ution (spelling Love backwards) march. This event comes at an interesting time in the political process, so we'll see what kind of reception it gets. In any case, it is a fine event to practice documentary, reportage, and photojournalism.

Send me a note and I will PM you back my cell# (so we can find each other).

Best Regards,

Nacho

16. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Well, it was quite an interesting event, I have to say. :biggrin: There was no shortage of interesting subjects throughout the day...

331990702_CtndN-L. 331993078_FrUZL-L.

331962319_8gVGh-L.
    331963927_CwMGp-L. 331970770_ys7QU-L.
    331966651_EnLmm-L. 331968002_92VFE-L.

331996835_bH2WR-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  17. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    More...

331972098_DQyKU-L.

331968816_AGLE8-L.

331975195_af3gy-L.

331975978_QheYW-L.

331969458_jaVGq-L.

331978509_WGQTw-L.

18. Nacho,

I just finished reading your assignment paper - very informative. I'm not comfortable taking pictures of people (even family) but your examples of preparation questions, considerations, and behavior are really food for thought and inspiring. I will keep this paper, if you don't mind.

Kristin, you posted some very nice photos, but your second set was especially moving.

Thanks,

19. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    And more...

At the Rally near the Capitol, the crowd was enjoying the band (which was pretty good) while waiting for the speakers to arrive... Nacho and I left shortly afterwards.

332018502_hr6uJ-L.

331997426_dpebs-L.

331983979_RHTHP-L. 331987773_GVsLA-L.

331997917_bBZ5Q-L.

331999368_iUMtP-L.

This young man was an owner of a D200 who was loving his new camera -- we told him about the Cafe, of course!

331999758_Mjgqs-L.

I don't think this gentleman was having such a good time, though...

331989517_wFgHS-L.

20. Great shot KristinB...Luv them series!!!!!!:tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.