1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Updating Distortion Control Data

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by tmiele, Jul 22, 2013.

1. tmiele

tmiele

Nov 20, 2012
    Madison, WI
    If you are going to update your D4 with the new Distortion Control Data file (Ver. 1.009) make sure your network connection setting is off. I wasted a few hours this morning first trying to install the update myself, then spending an hour with a “first- level” Nikon tech who had to put me on hold for every question she asked me. She finally moved me onto a real tech, who immediately asked if the network connection was on and to turn it off for the updating. Problem solved!

2. Thanks Tony for the heads up.

3. Why on earth should the Internet connection be turned OFF ? When you update the firmware in the camera, the *.BIN file is on your blank card and the camera body is NOT connected to Internet, so why does it matter ?

:confused: 
    J-P.

4. +1, my internet was connected and the upgrade worked fine from my SD card, I used to know everything!!

5. tmiele

tmiele

Nov 20, 2012
    Madison, WI
    The D4 just did not read the .bin file on the CF card. I put the same .bin file on a SD card in my D600 and it updated without any problem. There was no option to "update" on the firmware version display on the D4. After I turned off the network connection in the network menu, the update option appeared in the firmware version menu.

My network settings on the D4 was set up for the WT-5 if that matters.

6. tmiele

tmiele

Nov 20, 2012
    Madison, WI
    I did mean the network connection settings on the D4 menu for use with a WT-5, not my home Internet connection settings in the original posting.

7. Haaaaaaa ! Why didn't you mention this in the first place ? Now I understand !

.....pfewwww... those fancy gadgets :rolleyes:  !

:wink:
    J-P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.