1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrade camera body now???

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by jak2, Jul 28, 2007.

  1. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007
    I have a line on a new, unopened D200 locally for under $1,300 and it is tempting me... I presently have a D70 with 17-55, 80-200, and 60 micro as glass (and the 18-70 kit lens chill'n). My plan was to wait and see what the next generation has in store (expect it won't be all that long now) but... the $400+ question... grab the D200 at a pretty nice price and never look back or wait and pay more for whatever comes next???
  2. why wait? what pictures will the new one take now that the unknown that's not even here can take? or better yet, what is broken on your D70 that won't allow you to get the shot?
    wow, I am depressing, right?
  3. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007
    LOL... some help you are!!! You have simply restated the issue (less wordy though so I'll give you credit for that much:biggrin:) . I guess to elaborate a little further in this post, I am a person who appreciates "tool" build quality and ergonomics (esp. covet the viewfinder) and my interest in photography has grown since the D70 to the point where I feel quite certain I am going to end up with a D200-level-of-quality body most likely fairly soon... D200? Its replacement? ...when is best is the question??? Only I can ultimately answer it but I'm tossed right down the middle and hoping perhaps someone will knock me off the fence to one side or the other with something I haven't already thought of.
  4. you could buy it and sell it when the new body comes out, but you need to assess if it's worth the money to you.

    if it were me (a camera-tech-nerd), i would wait, because i (you) already have a d70 and some very nice glass. if i (you) didn't have a camera, then it would be a different story completely.
  5. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007
    If I buy it, I just won't look back... I'm too conservative to just flip it in a few months. I wouldn't characterize myself as a camera-tech-nerd... if the new model has any more mega-pixels my initial reaction will be negative... build and ergonomics are more important to me than eeking out the last ounce of technical performance from the electronics... yet... the thought of a blockbuster new feature (perhaps a truly effective method of keeping the sensor clean or a dramatic improvement in noise/high ISO performance) is what keeps me sitting on the fence.

    Thanks for you thoughts!
  6. As they say "Faint heart never won fair maid." Mr. Ditto is correct. Get the D200 and start shooting. You're misapplying operations analysis optimization theory to an aesthetic situation. One thing for sure, you are not taking images with the D200 and will continue to "not" do so as long as you procrastinate. You MIGHT save a few hundred bucks and even possibly get a more feature-filled camera....but when?

    I'll give another example. My beloved wife frets over the currently horrid exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Euro and GBP and how much more expensive it will make our annual trips to Europe. "And what is the alternative?" is always my reply. We're both 65 right now...do we wait three or four more years, not traveling and saving and waiting 'till the exchange rate changes? That would be very foolish because time passes and each year lost not traveling can never be regained. More succinctly..either/both of us could be dead by then.

    Get the camera and start enjoying.

    Thanks, Rich
  7. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks for your thoughts Rich. I have to laugh about "that horrid exchange rate"... that rate is helping me get back business here in the States I previously lost to a couple German companies (most everything has a counter-balance).

    If I thought the wait was a full year (like your annual trip to Europe) it would be easier for me... I just suspect, right or wrong, it is a mater of a couple months yet I'm not too sure I will find a better deal than right now on the D200 (new) if the "new improved" camera model turns out to be underwhelming to me.

    Shoot, even though I'm seven years younger than you, I try not to buy any green bananas :wink:
  8. On the other hand, jeff_c, a historically reliable source of rumors is saying August for two new cameras. :biggrin: Over at DPR.

    These things are almost always incremental, though. The D200 is a fine camera.
  9. senna


    Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I waited through PMA (was what early April) no new body. I got a D200 right after that and have never looked back. I'm sure this camera will be with me for some time. There is a lot to learn about this thing. I moved up from a D70s and the added features are endless. But I'm sure you're aware of this. :tongue:
  10. Cope


    Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I would buy now while the deal is there. There are no guarantees that a new model will be an updated D200. Meanwhile, you have enjoyed an upgrade to your current camera.
  11. And historically there is almost always a wait of several months for the product to reach store shelves. And if the announcement is delayed (as apparently the long-awaited D3X was last spring) then what? You could easily sell it here if you want the latest and greatest when it shows up. In the end it comes down to (possibly) the price of a couple of hundred dollars to be able to start shooting, and learning, now.

  12. I'd buy it. That's a fine price on an unopened D200. I too am looking to upgrade from a D70 and would take a D200 at that price anytime! Yes, there will likely be some sort of a new model announced in the next couple months but even if that happens, you won't be able to actually purchase one (if it's even a temptation) for months after that. Grab the good deal and run with it.
  13. Buy. The D200 has 90% of the features of the D2X, which is significantly more than the D70. So, if you buy now, when it comes time to move on from the D200, you'll have a much better idea if having 100% of the top 'o the line is worth it, to you.

    Plus, you get to skip the potential birthing pains of the next generation camera....
  14. chrisnck


    Jul 19, 2007
    I was doing the same thing and bought the d200 it worked out great no regrets .
  15. If your D70 is doing everything you want and the main reason you want the D200 is for its engineering, I'd wait. On the other hand, if there's something the D200 does that you need and the D70 doesn't do, go for the D200.

    The other thing to consider is cost. You know what the D200 costs, the only thing you know about the DXXX is that it will be more, probably close to a thousand bucks more based on the opening price for the D200. Of course, if the next camera is an advancement of the D2H or the D2x, it's a whole new ballgame.

    Figure out way you want to buy, will the D200 fit this picture and do you have the money to go for the successor to the D200.

  16. Buy the D200 now. Learn it, love it, USE it!! I think you'll find that there is somewhat of a learning curve moving from the D70/s to the D200, and that will be enough to keep you happily busy for the next several months.... Then when the newest greatest D-whatever is finally announced, if you decide to move on to it, you will be in a much better position to actually get the most from that camera, having cut your teeth on the D70 and the D200.....
  17. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007
    Just getting back on today... thanks to all who have weighed in... some great input!

    The small, somewhat dark D70 viewfinder does frustrate me when trying to determine if the autofocus (or manual on occasion) is locking in to the right point and the small screen and lower magnification level makes it difficult to sometimes see if I nailed the shot or not until too late (PP on the monitor). The more machine tool build is something I appreciate and eventually want but that alone is not enough of a motivator at this point in time.
  18. jhpate


    Jul 14, 2007
    texarkana, texas
    The price sounds good to me. Being able to get it locally for that price would be a plus. If you decide to get it have fun. I have a d70 now but looking at the d200 as the next step myself.
  19. trublu


    Jul 23, 2007
    Thinking of upgrading from a D70s to a D80 or D200 too. My only cause for pause is the rumoured D300 coming out in Aug/Sept. That might drive down the prices of the D80/D200 to a more palatable figure :D 
  20. jak2


    Mar 14, 2007

    Thanks to all for weighing in!

    I bought the D200... the charge now is not to look back and to learn this camera well.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.