Upgrade d50 - Whether and to what?

I am sure this has been beat to death, and I apologize in advance. I have a buddy who is still shooting film but has been borrowing my d50 more and more for the small scale journalistic work he does. He is perhaps the last living human without a computer and is absolutely not tech savy, which is why he has resisted switching to digital. Two days ago, he asked if I would sell my kit to him - a d50, couple of batteries, 18-70ed and 70-300ed with a hand full of filters.

I am not adverse to acquiring new stuff, but I really like my d50. My dilemna is what am I gaining by going to a d80? Should I be thinking about jumping to a d200? I am a straight amateur and shoot mostly candids, travel and youth sports. Any insight is appreciated.

They are both a step up from what you've gone. I'm not going to do any comparisons (you can look at those on many websites), but what I will ask you is to think about what it is YOU want to do with your camera that you don't or haven't done yet...focus on those capabilities and see which one offers that and if the price differences are worth the upgrade for you. Certainly the higher the model, the more bells and whistles but if you're not even thinking of using them than why bother spending the $$ on it.

Also if you're thinking that others might be using it as well who aren't into cameras it might be better to stick with a D80 which has more of a consumer focus than the D200. OTOH, the D200 does have been weather sealing and protection if that's important to you. It's something you have to look at for yourself. Perhaps the best thing to do is go check it at at a camera shop or big box retailer to get a sense for each and then decide.

From one Dan to another...I was in the same boat. I just purchased a D200 from a fellow in California. I, however, do NOT intend to get rid of my D50. The D200 has a few more features than the D80, but I would have been well satisified with the D80, which you can purchase new for the price of a used D200. And you will have a newer camera to boot. Had the deal with my D200 purchase fell through, I would have bought the D80. But as the previous poster says, look at the features of both cameras and decide what is important to you.

Happy hunting.

Uh... why doesn't he simply go out and BUY a D50 if that's what he wants? No need for you to sell yours if you don't want to or aren't ready to. There are refurbs out there and good used ones as well. Jost picked up a nice used one through a member here. My wife was unhappy with the lack of functionality on her D40 - the D50 has turned out perfect.

I'd hold off of going to a D80 right now in any case. Seems like that's due for a replacement soon so you end up with a better newer version of whatever Nikon uses to fill that niche - or you'll be able to pick up a D80 for less as the now supersceded version is discounted.

D200 prices continue to drop as more people move up to 300's so.....

I wouldn't be in a rush. Personally, I'd hold onto the D50 as a back-up if I upgraded - whatever I upgraded to. The D50's a nice size.

Good point about holding it as a backup. I did the same. It's still a great camera even after all these years and many new models later!

Uh... why doesn't he simply go out and BUY a D50 if that's what he wants?
They're discontinued. He'd have to get a D40/x...which IMHO is a mistake because they can't be used with non-AF-S lenses. His choices would be limited to ebay of buying through a 3rd party - since he's probably not a member of a photo forum as closely knit as this one.

The D80 seems to be a dumbed-down version of the D200...so, if he buys, get the D200.

Do yourself a favour and buy a D200, they are so cheap now and the D200 will open up new possibilities...

S

scooptdoo

stay with your 50.i luvs my 300 and bought it because i wanted mirror lock up and a few other features not the least of which is a optical glass viewing system vs. mirror like say a d40.but the live view i thought was super cool ,is but i seldom use it except is macrophotograghy.i still havent set my FN button to do anything?
why pay for a lot of features you will seldom if ever use.

Nuteshack is an example of how great the little D50 can be. If I could still buy new ones I would probably have a couple.

They're discontinued. He'd have to get a D40/x...which IMHO is a mistake because they can't be used with non-AF-S lenses. His choices would be limited to ebay of buying through a 3rd party - since he's probably not a member of a photo forum as closely knit as this one.

The D80 seems to be a dumbed-down version of the D200...so, if he buys, get the D200.
Exactly right. So, I will probably sell him mine or buy one for him here.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. It is a tough call. The D50 does pretty much everything I need. I would like the better view finder on the D80/D200, the DOF preview, second dial, etc. but I don't really need any of that. So, moving to the D80 would be nice, but I am not sure how much it changes my shooting habits. On the other hand, the 5fps on the d200 is something I would use for sports shooting, and that would change how I shoot sports.

Decisions, decisions.

Dan -

It all depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting sports the D80 does a great job but if you are serious about it you may find the D200 and D300 do an awesome job.

I started with the D80 and have done very well with it and my wife likes it because she understands the pictures on the wheel. I upgraded to the D300 because I wanted the better FPS, focusing, ISO etc. I have not been unhappy :biggrin:.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that you lose the electronic shutter with any of the cameras you are thing about (only in the D50 and D70) and your flash sync will be limited to 1/250.

Be aware, however, that the D200 has poor high-iso noise performance, and your sport shooting cannot probably include indoor sports as a result. The D50 was the best high-iso, high-resolution performer Nikon made that could take the older lenses of value to sports shooters.

You might want to consider picking up a used D1H, superb for sports and which does good jpegs. Not so good for flash photography, however.

Currently own a D50 here. I love to shoot low light concert photography and needed to add a second body to my arsenal. The D50 obviously performs great in low light but I find myself menu diving a bit too much while shooting to just get another one. I love the build quality and controls on the body of the D200 but was concerned about the high iso quality, since I shoot high ISO often.

I decided on the D80...kinda the best of both worlds. More controls on the camera body, respectable high ISO and bigger view finder. The D300 fits exactly what I want but it's still a bit outside my budget for now.

In your case, it honestly sounds like the D50 is working for you. Not sure moving up is worth the cost to you...the D50 is a fine camera still! I agree with a previous post, unless your really itching to move up, keep your D50 and have him go look for a used or referb'd D50.

I got my d40 from them and it was what they call a "factory demo" It was a refurbished model which came with a 90 day manufacturer warranty and a 1 year store warranty. I could not be happier with my new camera. Factory sealed unit like brand new. I won it on eBay for under $300 clams body only.

Thanks again for all the opinions. I pulled the trigger and bought a D80 from Cameta yesterday. The DOF preview, better view finder, color histogram and just the basic ability to control more of the image making process seemed to make the upgrade worth while. We will see.

Harry, my wife thanks you for your comments on the D200's noise issues. I hadn't thought about that, and it pretty much kept me from making the bigger jump.

It feels weird changing bodies already. I have had the D50 for about two years. Back in the days of film, I used the same body for ten years and never even thought of switching. Times change.

N

Nuteshack

although i wouldn't mind getting my hands ona mint d2hs i haven't been tempted to "upgrade"...till the advent of the d3, that is. with the d50's i've got more than 30k clicks under my belt and still haven't tapped into all this fine camera has to offer. don't be swayed by "everyone else is doing it". get this gizmo down before moving onto the next ....;-)))

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom