Upgrade from D70 to D100?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by A girls, Aug 18, 2008.

1. A girls

A girls

Jan 6, 2008
    Texas
    I really don't like all the noise I get from my 4 year old D70. I really don't know much about the D100, so is it an upgrade/better ISO from a D70?

Anyone have or used both? Thanks!

2. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I had a D100 now have a D70. I can't think of anything about the D100 (including high ISO noise) that is an upgrade to the D70. To me the D1h is the king of low noise on a budget.

3. I had (actually still have) a D100 - when I purchased it I tossed up between the 70 and 100 and opted for the 100 mainly because I felt it was a more rugged camera - but I think in all fairness t0 both they probably have equal noise. If you want less noise you will probably have to look at the newer cameras. The other aspect is to live with the noise and deal with it - shoot at lowest iso possible, use noise ninja or neat image to remove noise.

The images below are both from the 100, both shot at 1600 iso and neat image used to clean up any noise

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    It's a sideways move on noise and almost all other counts except build. The D100 is more rugged.

5. Yep. Unless you're planning on upgrading to (at least) the D300, you're not going to get a significant decrease in noise. However, as was mentioned above, Noise Ninja can clean up many images - but with a slight decrease in IQ.

6. A girls

A girls

Jan 6, 2008
    Texas
    This is really good to know. You have helped make my decision! I think I will stay with my trusty and well working D70! Now lets hope it stays that way a few more years! Thank you!!!!!!

7. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I had both too. pretty in equal most ways.
    I ended up selling the100, still have the70.

8. I hate to disagree with the crowd, but I found the d200 to be a terrific upgrade to the d70 in every way, including nose. It has a rugged build quality, like the d100, but it's several generations more advanced. You can find good copies of the d200 in the $7-800 range.

9. TVayos

TVayos Guest

If you were considering either camera I would recommend buying something new. The newer the better. The d70 came out after the d100 and according to every article I read the newer camera d70 was better. Heres one such article. There were 5-6 at the time I purchased my camera, all stated that the d70 was an improvement over the earlier model.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/page25.asp

I also used a d50 for several months which was suppose to be an improvement over my d70s, damned if I could tell the difference. I actually prefered the d70s. That had to do with features, handling and default setting were more to my style. I rarely work in high iso situations but I never liked the results of either camera with the iso cranked.

Thats said, for the money I am sure a d40 will be an improvement over both. I have no experience with the latest nikons bought mine a while ago. The newer models appear to be getting better and better from what I read here. I can see the difference in the high iso improvements.

10. A girls

A girls

Jan 6, 2008
    Texas
    I really wished I could afford the D200! It's been a dream of mine for a while, just not making enough $$ yet! Maybe soon!

11. OT, but Phil, where was that Britton at when you shot it?

12. The Britten is on display at our museum in Wellington

Here is another shot of it, this one not perfect but handholding at 1/8 is not easy without VR

For a while they also had Bert Munro's "fastest Indian" on display
    - I am pretty sure this is the one they used in the movie, not the real thing

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    D70 is definitely more superior to the D100. Get a D1X or D1H. :biggrin:

14. I almost completely agree with this. The noise level of the D200 was the deciding factor that pushed me to the D300. ISO 800 was the usable limit, IMHO, for the 200 - which is just about the same as the D70. But the color produced by the D200 is fantastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.