1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrade my 18-135 lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paulvanharte, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I have a D40X and would like to upgrade my 18-135 lens. I already have the 70-300VR. Would like to be able to have something with some "macro" ability. What I mean is I would like the lens to have a closer focus distance than the 18-135. Any suggestions.

Paul

2. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    Why not keep the 18-135mm and go for a dedicated macro lens? I just picked up a tamron 90mm for relatively inexpensive used and have been pretty happy with it thus far...

3. I had an 18-135 with my D40 and ending up selling it for my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM and 1:3.5 macro. I definitely thought it was a worthy upgrade, especially if you've already got something for the long end. The HSM works pretty good with the 3-point AF on the D40/x, but in low light or things that aren't really "contrasty" the right and left point would hunt a little bit.

4. Thanks ,keep the suggestions coming. Any pics with the Sigma 18-50 you can show me.What about the Sigma AF 17-70mm . I know its not a constant 2.8.

Paul

5. Not too sure about the 17-70, I wouldn't go with any of Sigma lenses that aren't in the EX line. Also if you want to auto focus you'll need Nikkor AF-S or AF-I lenses or Sigma HSM lenses. I think some newer Tamron's have in-lens focus motors as well but they don't designate them.

Here's one from when I had my D60, I think active d-lighting was off so it should give you a good idea of what it can do with your D40x:
    ChinookBlade.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a few from my D90 that I truly love:

_DSC0042.jpg

Bella.jpg

Basura.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.