Upgrade to Adobe CS3 from Elements 6

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Cleanimage, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Adobe is running a special until until the end of the month and for $300 I can upgrade elements 6 to CS3. Since February of 06 when I got my D200, I've used Capture then Capture NX to process my images. Currently I shoot everything in RAW compressed and then go from there. I've played with elements 6 but generally prefer the results I get from Capture NX in most instances. However, Adobe CS3 is the gold card for editing and I'm interested in what I might be missing.

Mostly I shoot landscapes and people. Any advice on whether to take advantage of the Adobe offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. I like CS3. Coming to it as a complete n00b it has been challenging and I've had to read a few thick books but I'm really pleased at this point. I never did feel comfortable with the Capture NX that came with the D300.

One thing that I really like is the included Bridge program and the ability to use Adobe Camera Raw from either Bridge or Photoshop... ARC is a major program all on its own IMO. Plus you can actually use it on jpgs!

3. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Depends on what you want to do with Photoshop. Personally, I use both PSCS3 and Lightroom. As to whether it's a good deal, look at it like this. If you wanted CS3, you'd pay close to $700USD for it. You have an offer to get it for less than half. There's a lot in PS including ACR that you can do to your images. There is a learning curve, but believe me, there are a lot of ways to learn the ins and out of PS! Since I do more than just convert RAW, I saw a need for PS and decided to stick with that for my workflow. As for Raw conversion, I'd agree that Capture will give better looking images, but I can generally get it as good though ACR(or Lightroom) and then some.
    Now not to burst your bubble, but the reason you're getting the offer,(my guess) is that CS4 will likley be released this fall and while you wouldn't need to upgrade to it(from CS3), it would be cheaper to do so from 3 rather than buying it outright. And I doubt that Adobe(or anyone else making the same type of offer) would offer to upgrade directly from E6 to CS4.

4. Do you use CS3 to convert from RAW or Capture NX. When I've played with elements 6 I've used Capture NX to convert RAW images to TIFF images and then proceeded from there to edit.

5. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I have not used NC (Never upgraded to NX) since I purchased CS3 last year, an upgrade from Paint Shop Pro. I looked at Elements, but didn’t like it.

Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) is a great tool for processing RAW images, and also great for processing jpg’s also. If I want to print a jpg, I will process it in ACR using Adobe RGB color space, and save as a tif.

ACR is a plugin that comes with CS3, but I believe you can download it, and use it with Elements.

My other half has Elements, but I just didn’t care for it. Too many tools I use in CS3 that are not available in Elements.

6. Take it! That is too good a deal to pass up. No, I don't use CS3 for raw processing, but it is an essential toolkit of just about any kind of digital surgery you would want to do. Think of it as buying the deluxe full blown Proto tool kit. If it's there when you need it, it saves your keester.

I've been shooting images antique electric guitars for one of my boys in order to sell at shows. While those little nicks, etc. actually add to the value of the guitar, an image to sell should be of a beauty. Photoshop and the clone stamp worked wonders.

7. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I convert with Lightroom and/or ACR. The more editing that can be done with your raw converter the better off you are. But to your original question, I would get Photoshop to add to your digital tool box. At some point you may find yourself needing something that Photoshop can offer. It's better to have it at your disposal when you need it rather to not have it when you do.

8. I had Elements 5.0, and they offered $199 to upgrade, I took it. I love having CS3, it's helped me grow a lot in my PP. :smile:

9. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    That's a sure sign that CS4 is coming soon...
    Still a good deal. I may do that as well; just not sure I need it. I use Elements 6 infrequently (mostly for defishing). The thing I dislike about it most is converting from 16bit to 8bit. Really not that big a deal, but...
    50% off WOULD be nice...

10. I went from CS2 to CS3, and like it a lot. However, for most of my processing, I use NX2. I had NX (got it with the D3) and NX2 is a vast improvement. I'd recommend downloading the trial and giving it a try.