1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrade to CS4....

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Jeff Lee, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    What will be the reason you upgrade:

1. Just to keep current

2. Killer change specifically to photography

3. Artistic Tools

4. Better integration of Bridge/ACR

I'm pretty happy with CS3....on the fence unless something is greatly changed....I think:) 

2. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Ditto that :) 

3. I'm very happy with CS3, no plans to upgrade.

4. What are the new features? Have they been announced yet?

5. The "3" can be morphed into a "4", and in so doing, drains the wallet... :cool: 

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    A quick reminder that new camera RAW support could be what forces upgrades later. Maybe not now, but eventually we all are forced to upgrade, as they know longer support new cameras for CSIII Raw add on. Maybe this is true, I can't say for sure... But at least we are good right now. Heck, I haven't even tapped the features of CSIII yet, let alone 4. The major advantage I can see is, possibly using separate licenses for multiple computers. But that need is quiting some for me, as now 2 installs is about enough anyway.

7. I've been using less CS3 and more NX2 lately so I will probably not upgrade to CS4 any time soon :smile:

8. NateD

NateD Guest

I still have CS2 and thought about upgrading since my D300 RAW files can't be read with CS2
    but when I tried the trial of NX2, I like it better and if I upgrade at all, it will be to NX2

9. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I'll upgrade,

because I teach this stuff - need to keep current - and because ACR keeps getting better. I want to learn CNX2, but only so much time in the day . . .

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'll upgrade for 64-bit. Not sure what else is coming in CS4, haven't really kept up with the rumors.

11. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Sadly, I always have to have the newest toys! I'll be with CS4 asap.

12. CS4 will be much quicker with processing, rendering, etc. It also has cool features - as shown at PhotoshopWorld - like stretching scenes yet keeping items in the scene at the same proportions, and things like painting on a 3D surface. There was also some other stuff dealing with 3D imagery (which looks real cool but I will never use).

Also - some of the other programs in the CS3 suite, at least in my experience, are quite buggy.

It was explained at Photoshop World that Adobe put a ton of time into CS3 trying to get the Adobe applications to play nice and be somewhat integrated with the Macromedia applications (Adobe had just purchased Macromedia and only had a half cycle to do this). As a result, features & efficiency was put somewhat on the backburner to integration, whereas CS4 has had a lot of developmental time to improve on the meat & potatoes.

I had Photoshop CS4 Beta and didn't think much of it at the time - but from what was shown at PSW, it looks like a ton of cool features have been added that, I'd guess, a bunch of people will "want" regardless of need.

We'll see I guess. The 4th version of CS, which I'm guessing will be named CS4, will be unveiled Sept 23. They aren't saying when it will be available.

13. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

The CS4 beta that was floating around was nothing more than CS3 with some fixes/coding for Vista users...

14. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I watched the Adobe presentation of the CS4 demo. Unless you are a designer, you will have little interest in CS4. There isn't anything exciting in it for most of you. CS3 was the end of the line for photographers. For that matter it could be argued that photographers ended their interest in upgrading when they bought CS2.

The real action is in LR, not CS4. Expect to see expanded functionality and many more features included with LR in the years ahead. The CS series has left the world of photographers and now leads the world of 3D designers. Which group do you belong in?

15. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Not sure I would agree with this opinion.

I'm a designer and a photographer and most of what has been making PS better has been for the photography side and that was especially true of CS3. Until CS4 gets out, I'll reserve judgment, but CS3 saw huge improvements in ACR and 16-bit file support and processing - both key areas for photography, not so much for design.

16. I don't agree with this either. Lightroom is an in-between solution for many people who want to get 75% there without paying the full cost for photo-shop; for people who want a stripped down, and thus simpler/faster, method of working, and for people who want to prep things for...photoshop. Lightroom does not have all the tools necessary for many photographers. Why would Adobe just ditch photoshop-happy photographers? Would make no sense.

Secondly, the Adobe Presentation showed a couple new features. It wasn't a 10-hour session on every new feature. Obviously, for something like Photoshop World, they aren't going to use time to wow the crowd with "we adjusted the brightness/contrast sliders to lock in at certain values" when they can show 3D dinosaurs spinning around.

I think the prudent move is to wait until Photoshop is out to see all the new features and make an assessment at that time.

17. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    The improvements shown in those demos illustrated how the upgrade involves specialized modifications to images. Most photos don't need to be reduced horizontally or mapped to a globe as was shown.

Adobe isn't "ditching" Photoshop. The application has evolved into a mature product where the gains seen in previous years will no longer appeal to most photographers. They will appeal to designers. This is why there are still so many photographers using CS2. There was not enough advancement for them to justify the purchase -- and its high cost. With CS4 there is even less reason for photographers to upgrade from CS3 than there was from CS2 to CS3.

The improvements in CS4 might matter to you personally. In that case, I suggest you purchase the product. It will be interesting to see what its price will be. Certainly it isn't going to be any less than CS3. How many of you are willing to pay $400 - $800 for an upgrade or full version of a photo editing application?

LR has all the tools available for most photographers. If you are not using it -- or you use it casually -- then you will not understand. Moreover, LR offers great advancements in productivity that will never be available in Photoshop.

18. That may be your view but is certainly not mine. I like the new features that will be available in PSCS4. LR and PS are very different products but have crossover sections and are complimentary in my view.

19. Sure mate, that's why there has been so much screaming about the bugs in LR that allow easy access to PS!!
    I know a little about LR and a little about PS but I am learning.

20. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Get your facts straight. Upgrading Photoshop is typically around $150-180, not the prices you are suggesting. If one owns an earlier version of one of the suites (which is a handful of programs, depending on which you have and which you want to upgrade to), then yes the cost is higher - but it's for several programs, not just one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.