Upgraded my MacBook Pro SSD from 250 GB to 1 TB

For when I am on the road, I love my late 2012 MacBook Pro Retna 13". Only limitation was the 256 GB SSD I had in it. After some lingering, I ordered a Transcend 720 960 GB SSD to replace my original unit.
Installation was a breeze.
I did the Restore in Disk Utility to clone my original 256 MB SDD. Then I swapped out the drives, selected the new SSD to be the startup disk and enabled TRIM with the Transcend JetDrive Toolbox app.
Everything works seamlessly as if I never changed anything. As mentioned above, I only had to authorize my MS Office software - took all of a minute.
Of course I have a lot of catalogued image files in my home iMac, but had only the last couple of years worth in my MBP.
I used to bring an external HDD on the road with all the files that I did not have in the MBP. I would also use the external HDD to download cards when on the road.
Now, with the 960GB installed, I am in heaven! Everything I have in my iMac is in the MBP. I can do everything and have all files and imaging software available when on the road.

As a last remark, the quality of the Transcend JetDrive package and its content really impressed me. Of much higher quality than the 1 TB SSD I tried previously from another retailer. That previous one drove me nuts and I returned it after a number of failed attempts to make it work. Maybe a bad apple (pun fully intended... :p ), but I gave up on that one after wasting a very frustrating weekend.

I am glad I decided to get the Transcend. Now I am just hoping that the Toolbox TRIM utility gets fixed so that it will work with Yosemite...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom