Upgraded to full frame and mirrorless what to do with old DX lenses??

Hope all is well. Just purchased a z5 + 24-70f4 + FTZ today as making the move to full frame and mirrorless.

Currently have a d7000 with 17-55mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 and a 35mm 1.8 all DX lenses. Anyone have any insight if worth keeping any of these to shoot on the d7000 or even the Z 5? Or should plan to sell them all and use some money towards some Z lenses. Perhaps sell the D7000 along with the lenses or keep to use with my 70-200mm periodically.

I have a 70-200mm VR II that I can use on the FTZ to compliment my Z 24-70F4 so pretty well set up there and will see how it goes before buying new Z glass based on my needs.

Thanks in advance!

On the Z5 using DX lenses you'll end up with about a 10mpx file which is fine for many uses. But I'll just warn you that the Z system is pretty addictive - particularly the glass.

Lots of people keep a 'spare' camera around - just to keep it in the car or truck or take on a camping trip - just for random snaps when you don't want to worry so much about looking after your equipment but still want to use a proper camera. The D7000 + 35DX might be fine for that. OTOH, if the equipment is just going to sit there (and you hear that a lot when people move into the Z system), then you might consider it a resource worth tapping for something new.

I'd use the Z5 for 4-6 months and then decide whether the D7000 is something you have any need for.

JLH

I keep old cameras and lenses for the most part. It seems I always find a use for them like parking one on a tripod in my sun room to catch a rare bird on or feeders or using an older camera at the beach where I don't want to expose my new high dollar stuff to the salt water..
One of our guest speakers at our local photo club (before the pandemic) was a long time professional news photographer here in Louisville. His work is very well known nationally and he did a book on prize winning shots taken over the years. What was interesting in his presentation was as he was telling what camera and lenses were used on various shots we were rather surprised. Seems there were many great photos he had done with DX lenses on FX bodies. He was asked about this and seemed to have no issue with doing this as long as he got the results he needed for his work. It was that old "the best gear is the gear you have with you". And yes, he was a Nikon guy all the way.

If you don't need a backup, I'd sell the lenses in order to buy more Z lenses. Equipment should have a purpose, I generally don't have sentimental attachment to my gear and most stuff can be re-purchased later on.

If you don't need a backup, I'd sell the lenses in order to buy more Z lenses. Equipment should have a purpose, I generally don't have sentimental attachment to my gear and most stuff can be re-purchased later on.

Agree with this - sell them all - it's easy to sell lenses on Ebay, just take good pics of them. If you're not used to that there's KEH or Adorama, never tried that. Or even Facebook marketplace, I sold a lens that way. There's no fees if you use Facebook.

All those lenses you'll get decent money for.

Real Name
Andrew
My suggestion is to sell them and look into getting more Z lenses. The 35 and 50 primes are stellar if you need the f/1.8 light gathering.

Otherwise, you could put those proceeds to use later on if you decide that other Z mount glass coming soon is to your liking. I will say that if you need a longer telephoto, using the FTZ and the f-mount 70-300/4.5-5.6 E AF-P (the FX version) is awesome. The 70-300 focus' fast and is sharper than any other 70-300 I've used. I doubt a native z mount lens in the same focal length will be much smaller, focus any faster or be any sharper.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom