1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrading from 22" to 24" LCD Monitor for $200?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by john1970, Jul 27, 2008.

1. john1970

john1970

Feb 10, 2008
    Boston MA
    Dear Members,

I just purchased a nice Samsung 22" widescreen display at Bestbuy. I have two weeks in which I can return it.

My question:

Would you spend the extra $200 to $250 to upgrade to a 24" LCD display?

The advantages I see of at 24" display are:
    1) full HD resolution
    2) extra screen real estate (which is never a bad thing)

One potential disadvantage is that usually larger monitors have larger pixel size.

Lastly, I know I could purchase an additional 22" LCD monitor for $250, but desk mounts for two monitors are quite expensive ranging from $200 to $300 dollars so I would like to stick with a single monitor.

FYI the 22" wide screen is a huge improvement over my 19" 4:3 monitor.

Please chim in as you see fit.

Thank you,

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Get the 24 inch. It is far more convenient to use 1920x1200 than 1680 x 1050.

btw, the 22" has 0.282mm pixel size and the 24" is smaller, at 0.27mm.

3. john1970

john1970

Feb 10, 2008
    Boston MA
    William,

Thank you for the advice. I just orderd a Samsung 2493HM from Best Buy and I am going to pick it up this evening after work.

The larger Samsung has many adavantages including a height adjustable stand.

Thank you agin,

John

4. Note that this is using a TN panel that is not very good for photo editing because of changing colours when changing the viewing angle. The better ones are the 244T (older model) and 245T (newer model) but they cost a lot more.

5. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Interesting comment by Kees made me do some research. Here is a good starting link for photo editing monitor shoppers:
    http://textblog.anands.net/archives/11
    I think I will pass on the 'good deal' at Costco on the Samsung 245BW. Now setting my sights on smaller (22" instead of 24") but better color technology.

6. john1970

john1970

Feb 10, 2008
    Boston MA
    To everyone,

I just returned the 2493HM to Best Buy this evening. It had touch pad controls for adjusting the monitor settings that were almost impossible to use. After the return, I ordered a Samsung 245T from Amazon by second day air so it will arrive on Friday so I can set it up this weekend.

The difference in price was $200, but it is a small price to pay for color accuracy when one considers how much I spent on camera equipment.

Thanks,

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.