Upgrading from a D70 -> D2H (used) or D200?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi folks,

I’m in a dilemma that maybe some of you already had….i have the D70 and want to upgrade to something with better AF and faster FPS and the obvious choices are the D2H ( I can get one used, 35K clicks, for 1.500 Euro) or a D200 ( 1.890 Euro). I’m not MP addicted and the 6MP from the D70 seem to be more than adequate for most of the time. I never crop, anyway….

I shoot mostly surf and get published from time to time and until now, the 6MP files from the D70 looked quite nice even in a double page, which is as big as you can get in a magazine. Frankly, I don’t shoot that often in low light so the high-ISO performance of a D200 might not be what I’m looking for, the D70 handles things quite well up to ISO 1000 and most times even at 1600…

From 3 FPS to 5 FPS it’s a huge difference, but to 8 FPS it will be even more noticeable….another thing that’s putting me off on a camera like the D200 is the file size and the need for more CF cards and HD space. With a D2H it’s possible to shoot Jpeg Fine+RAW and interpolate the RAW file to 6MP or more if necessary ( I’ve done some tests with the D70 with surprising results up to 25 MP interpolations…), and keep the faster FPS and focus ability….

Until now, no-one was able to report a proper comparison between Cam 1000 and Cam 2000, and this is by far one of the most important issues for someone shooting sports. I like also to shoot wildlife from time to time, but I can’t see the advantage of higher resolution here, unless you’re shooting small birds or do heavy crops…for landscape shots, the D70 will do the job.

Any opinions you might have, please share. Thanks.

Somes shots that show my "usual" subjects :
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57499

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58759

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Edit: After reading ALL of your post, the D2H is probably the better choice for you. They do suffer from Metering board problems you need to look out for.

Having both of these cams now, I can say without a doubt in my mind, go for the D200! The tamed noise levels are just too low vs the D2H to ignore, and 5 FPS is often enough for almost all sports apps. Focus is plenty fast in the D200 too, although I haven't extensively tested that out with a bunch of different lenses.
    An ISO 1600 sample....can't do that with a d2h, although it's better with an Hs.
    original.
    Model NIKON D200/18-200VR
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 52 mm
    Exposure Time 1/80 sec
    Aperture f/4.8
    ISO Equivalent 1600
    Exposure Bias +1/3
    White Balance auto -2
    Metering Mode matrix
    Exposure Program aperture priority

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You well LOVE the .....D200......

If the .......D200......will capture action with an 80-400 VR it will capture action with anything attatched to it.

Check my thred 80-400 goes machine gun :>)))

that is one burst with the 80-400 VR handheld.

Hands down......D200.......

Or D2X

Cheeers my friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2005
  4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    hmm,

Based upon you onw thoughts I think a D2h might be better. Compared to a friends D2h, the focus is still a bit better than my D200, but both are much ahead of the D70.

If you are concerned with the file size and don't shoot low light, the 8fps is a whole entire level above the 5fps. Once you have 8, 5 seems slow! I am just glad I only tried my friends 8fps once and only once. Wow!

I need to crop all the time so the D200 is fine for me at this point.

Just some other thoughts, I would try to find a d2h that has ad the meter replaced. Once they have they are great machines.

Cheers,

Wade

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks for your reply. The owner of the uses D2H in question told me (even before i asked him...) that the camera had the meter problem and was replaced. He also mentioned that he would be replacing the rubber grip, since it was loosening up...

After the New Year's i'll test his camera and decide later. I'll be using the 70-200 VR and 500 F4 to test it since these are my main sports lenses.

My main concern goes to the actual shutter count, since he told me it had taken about 35K shots (not that much, but difficult to confirm...).

I'm getting more inclined to the used D2H by the day, inspite of all the D200 frenzy that's going one lately...the battery life on the D200 that has been reported doesn't also seem to be on par with the bigger camera.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I grew very impatient with trying to get a D200 and ended up with a D2H.
    I have only had it for a few days and I have to say I love it.
    I will get a D200 sometime next year to replace the 2 D70's I have, but for now I am more than pleased with the D2H

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    From what you said I would put a vote in for the D2h. It has great auto focus speed. The file size is going to be very manageable. 8fps is a blast, though not really often needed. You said you will not be at high ISO, so the D2h and it's half brother the D2hs are going to be your best bet.

8. I think you'll need the extra AF speed of the D2H. I've shot with a D2H for the last 18 months, and am trying out a D2HS and D200 at the moment; D200 isn't as fast AF-wise, and anything other than the center point isn't really sensitive enough. I'm doing a lot of focusing and recomposing which I don't need to do with the 11-x type sensors of the D2H/D2HS.

Let me also be the first to say that it punches WAY above the 4MP count would suggest. I too went from a D70 to D2H; apprehensive at first, didn't regret it a single bit. And I've never had a complaint from a client about insufficient resolution - and I do wristwatch photography!

Ming

9. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks Ming. I'll be testing the D2H in a couple of weeks and for all the reasons i already stated plus the feedback i'm getting regarding AF speed and accuracy, it'll probably be my next camera. Frankly, unless someone is making a living out of photography and need extra resolution on a daily basis, there's no need for a +6MP camera.