Upgrading from D700

I have had my D700 for 10 years. Just recently things are feeling a bit off. Nikon does not service these any longer. I have needed to upgrade for sometime anyway. I am hoping to gain some insight from you and your experience. I shoot mostly families, high school seniors, the occasional wedding and events. I am also in the basketball gym often! HA! My go to glass is the 24-70 and the 105. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

D750 or a Z6.
Yeah high school basketball gyms are dim.
I do not know how well the Z6 works for shooting basketball. My Olympus EM1-mk1 sucked, but the mk2 works fine. The issue for me was how fast the EVF refreshes and if it freezes the VF when it shoots.

But THINK if you do want to make the shift to a mirrorless Z or stay dSLR.
With a D750 you can use all your lenses natively. So you just buy the body.
With a Z6, you need the FTZ adapter to use your F lenses. But you will eventually want the native Z lenses. So you end up buying body AND lenses $$$$.
The FTZ only supports the electronic AF-S lenses, not the older mechanical AF lenses.​
If you shoot in difficult lighting, I found the EVF tremendously helpful. You can see your exposure real time, so you can see if you need to adjust the exposure up or down. I don't have to chimp like I have to do with the dSLR.

Recently, I went through exactly same selection process. I have had D700 for about 10 years as well. I decided to switch to a mirrorless camera because I believe they are the future and currently they are capable of providing same or even better IQ. I purchased Z6 + Z 24-70/4 kit and with firmware 3.0 it really shines.
With mirrorless cameras you get:
  • Small size and weight of both camera body and native lenses - it is important when traveling
  • Speedy autofocus and shorter focusing distance of native lenses
  • EVF is a relief after D700 OVF. It is especially good in low light conditions, even though I am still getting used to it. I used to enjoy OVF because it is “always on” and does not drain your battery in contrast to EVF, but it is a trade off and the EVF is worth it.
  • With native lenses you get full IBIS
  • After D700, I really enjoy having video in camera (but you can get it in D750/780 as well)
I agree, if you switch to mirrorless cameras, you will eventually want to replace your lenses with native Z lenses - and they are good. For example, I have Nikkor F-mount 24-70/2.8 and I really liked it on D700. But after comparing it to the Z 24-70/4 kit lens, I did not put the f2.8 lens back on the camera.

What I did not like about Z6/Z7
  • One card slot and it is CFexpress - cards are ridiculously expensive.
  • Battery capacity is just minuscule compared to D700.
  • Putting FTZ adapter for non-Z lenses takes time and I try to avoid it if I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
D750 or a Z6.
Yeah high school basketball gyms are dim.
I do not know how well the Z6 works for shooting basketball. My Olympus EM1-mk1 sucked, but the mk2 works fine. The issue for me was how fast the EVF refreshes and if it freezes the VF when it shoots.

But THINK if you do want to make the shift to a mirrorless Z or stay dSLR.
With a D750 you can use all your lenses natively. So you just buy the body.
With a Z6, you need the FTZ adapter to use your F lenses. But you will eventually want the native Z lenses. So you end up buying body AND lenses $$$$.
The FTZ only supports the electronic AF-S lenses, not the older mechanical AF lenses.​
If you shoot in difficult lighting, I found the EVF tremendously helpful. You can see your exposure real time, so you can see if you need to adjust the exposure up or down. I don't have to chimp like I have to do with the dSLR.
Thank you!! I do need to research these more. I appreciate the feedback!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Recently, I went through exactly same selection process. I have had D700 for about 10 years as well. I decided to switch to a mirrorless camera because I believe they are the future and currently they are capable of providing same or even better IQ. I purchased Z6 + Z 24-70/4 kit and with firmware 3.0 it really shines.
With mirrorless cameras you get:
  • Small size and weight of both camera body and native lenses - it is important when traveling
  • Speedy autofocus and shorter focusing distance of native lenses
  • EVF is a relief after D700 OVF. It is especially good in low light conditions, even though I am still getting used to it. I used to enjoy OVF because it is “always on” and does not drain your battery in contrast to EVF, but it is a trade off and the EVF is worth it.
  • With native lenses you get full IBIS
  • After D700, I really enjoy having video in camera (but you can get it in D750/780 as well)
I agree, if you switch to mirrorless cameras, you will eventually want to replace your lenses with native Z lenses - and they are good. For example, I have Nikkor F-mount 24-70/2.8 and I really liked it on D700. But after comparing it to the Z 24-70/4 kit lens, I did not put the f2.8 lens back on the camera.

• Putting FTZ adapter for non-Z lenses takes time and I try to avoid it if I can.
Thank you so much for the information. Glad to know someone went through the same thought process. I have just recently started researching the mirrorless cameras. I appreciate all the info. Wow-the CFexpress cards are expensive! Is there one that you love?

I don't know how long the Z6 battery will last, but I had the similar experience when I got my Olympus.

With my D7200, I could shoot all weekend and Monday on a single charge.
The D7200 drains battery only when I press the shutter.​

The Olympus EM1-mk1 battery would only last me about 4 hours.
Mirrorless cameras drain the battery as long as it is powered ON. It has to power the viefinder or rear screen.​
I needed THREE batteries to last me a full day of shooting, on vacation. At the end of the day, #3 was almost empty. Soon as I got back from vacation, I bought a FOURTH battery.​

I shoot both cameras in continuous ON, shooting sports and many days while on vacation. So in those situations, very little chance to power down or let the camera go to sleep, to save power.

Thank you so much for the information. Glad to know someone went through the same thought process. I have just recently started researching the mirrorless cameras. I appreciate all the info. Wow-the CFexpress cards are expensive! Is there one that you love?
I don't play favorites :) - I use Sony XQD and ProGrade CFExpress.
However, a useful piece of information - if you buy Z6 with old firmware, then you will need Sony XQD card + CardReader to update the firmware (from here), other cards won't work.
Updates from firmware version 2.10 or earlier require an XQD memory card and card reader. Updates from firmware version 2.20 or later can be performed with either an XQD memory card and card reader or a CFexpress card reader and Sony CFexpress memory card.
I learned it the hard way: I purchased Z6 with firmware 2.01 + ProGrade CFExpress card first and was not able to use the camera until my XQD card and a card reader arrived, because support for ProGrade cards was added only in firmware v3.0 (here is the post where it all has been described).

Love my D750, I do believe the only nearby upgrade to it would be a D500.
It would give a boost to some of my FF lenses, AF would be faster, and IQ the same (for my purposes).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom