1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrading from D80 to D90 is worth?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by nht800, Sep 16, 2008.

1. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    Hi,

Has anyone upgraded your D80 to D90 yet? Would do you think about IQ from D90 in comparation to D80?
    Is it worth for this upgrade( US$ 500 cost) if I don't interest in video mode ?

I wish I could see side-by-side photos produced by D80 and D90 on the same setting and lens.

Thanks a lot!

2. Active D-Lighting is always fun. I know a guy on another forum who went from a D80 to D90 and he can't stop praising the D90. I went from a D50 and D60 so the "upgrade" was more noticible to me.

3. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I can't compare the D80 to the D90, but I can comment in general about the D90. I moved up from the D40x and the difference is huge for me. My biggest driving factor for the upgrade was higher ISO performance. I would imagine that the ISO performance of the D80 and D40x would be comparable. I will say at lower ISO's, the D90 is actually a bit noisier then the D40x, but not by much(CMOS vs. CCD). As the ISOs climb, the noise is very well controlled on the D90. I feel that any properly exposed ISO2000-2500 image from the D90 is usable with minimal PP. Even ISO3200 images are usable, I just think a bit more PP is required. In comparison, the D40x started to produce pretty noisy images once the ISO was north of 800.

I guess the biggest factor is what are you looking for in a new camera? Many of the features of the D80 carried through to the D90 unchanged. To me, the biggest differences that I see between the D80/D90 are ISO performance, better metering, 3"LCD with better image review options, additional picture controls, Live View, 720p video recording and faster frame rates(4.5fps). I know there are plenty additional differences, but these were the big ones for me with the exception of the movie mode.

The D90 is a great camera and I really doubt you can go wrong with one. I personally love mine!

Morgan

4. nht800

nht800

Aug 26, 2008
    Missouri, USA
    Thank you very much for your helpful reviews so far. High ISO performance and improved matrix meter are most things interesting me on D90. Thanks.

5. I strolled into Circuit City to buy some home audio and came across a demo D90. They weren't selling very many of them so the salesman just let me play with it. Honestly, I'm thinking about picking one up and giving the D80 to my parents. Don't care too much for the live view... but the high ISO shots were pretty impressive.
    I love the new lens too.
    Perhaps in a few months.

-jeff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.