Upgrading my MacPro

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by tipsord, Aug 5, 2008.

1. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Got a MacPro a couple of months ago. It's not time to upgrade and need some help. I bought the basic version with only 2 MB. From reading here, it seems that OWC is the place to go. I will be using CS3 with Aperture and Final Cut Express to edit HD video. I will also be adding a 30" monitor. How much RAM do I realistically need? I know more is faster ... but more expensive as well. Also, how easy is it to install? And where do I go to get instructions as to how to install? I am pretty handy, but have never touched the inside of a computer.

Need to do the same with the hard drive as well. Only have the base 300 GB drive. What should I consider here? Should I add to my tower? And if so, what should I consider? And the same question regarding how difficult is it and where do I find instructions to do so?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    8GB should probably do the trick. Maybe go with 1 or 2 500GB drives for additional space..

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    For the memory, go to www.crucial.com. There prices are good, service is great and they provide all necessary instructions (it is extremely easy in a Mac Pro). I just took mine from 4 to 8 GB of ram (which I think is fine).

I got hard drives from www.newegg.com. Adding them to a Mac Pro is (again) incredibly easy. I would not go less than 500 GB - I have 4 x 500 GB in mine now, and if I had to do it over again, I would look at putting 1 TB drives in instead. I think the manual has instructions, but honestly, they just slide in.

4. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Great. Michael and John, thanks for the help.

One other question, if I have multiple hard drives in my MacPro, do I need any external back-ups if I'm backing them up all internally? If there is an issue with the system hard drive, will the other ones be unaffected? Or is it still good practice to back up to an external drive as well?

Thanks!

5. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi Greg, I just bought a Mac Pro 2 weeks ago and got the basic unit from them. I upgraded the ram from OWC adding 8 GB, it comes with instructions and took about 5 minutes.

Hard drives, I added 3 Samsung 750 GB 7200 32 MB Cashe drives, again, very easy. It is 4 screws per hard drive. You just have to make sure they are SATA drives.
    I bought them from New Egg for $99 each with free shipping.

Do you need external back ups? That depends on if this is a hobby or a business.

This is my full time business and I have 7 external hard drives. I use the WD MY Book. I have been very happy so far, I have 6 500GB and 1 TB.

With the Mac Pro, using Time Machine, it is a no brainer, just plug it in, follow the directions and it does the rest, it will back up your entire drive and keep it backed up every hour.

Good luck, Larz

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I recently upgraded the memory in my Mac Pro. As everyone indicated, it is a simple plug-in process.

Your only choice boils down to:

1-Where to buy from
    2-2GB or 4GB sticks each?
    3-Number of 2GB or 4GB sticks?

I recommend 4GB sticks x however many you want. Reason is, you can install 8 sticks - which I just did. I bumped up from 8GB to 32GB. Unfortunately the original 8GB were 4 x 2GB sticks, so I could not reuse them to add to 32. They are boxed up. That is why I'd buy the 4GB sticks. You can buy a couple more whenever you would like.

I bought OWC, returned them, and bought and kept Crucial. The only problem with OWC is their 4GB sticks cause the previous generation Mac Pro (like my 2007 model) to hang on restart; Crucial does not. I paid nearly $900 more for Crucial 32GB than for OWC. OWC paid for return shipping and refunded my M/C immediately - great company. Again, the only problem is a compatibility issue between last gen Mac Pro and 4GB sticks. They are aware of the problem.

Good luck! PM if I may help further.

7. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Thanks everyone. Seems pretty straight forward. Looks like I will have a weekend project next week. Thanks again!

8. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to add new hard drives to my Mac Pro! At the time I purchased the machine I ordered 8 GB RAM and 2 500 GB hard drives. In a month or so I decided to add two more HDs, so went off to the store and bought a couple, brought them home and in a jiffy had them installed and ready for work. I haven't yet needed to increase my RAM but I know that when the time comes it, too, will be a relatively painless and speedy process.