Upper Antelope Canyon Shaft of Light

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by joecolson, Jun 23, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I couldn't join Mike Worley and Ron Reznick at Antelope Canyon on Tuesday but Mike and I were able to go back there today. The weather was just right for the brief (2 hour) time we spent in the canyon. This shot is probably a cliche but was fun trying to capture. This small shaft of light appeared and disappeared quickly as the sun passed over the canyon. Although I shot NEF plus JPEG Fine, I processed this image from the JPEG file to get a quick look at the results of the day. Comments are appreciated.

2. Looks like a laser beam trying to cut through the earths surface. Very interesting looking.

3. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    That's in fact what it looks like. The light is visible because of the dust in the air. The guides actually throw dust in the air to create the effect for photographers.

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Brilliant! That's definitely on my list of places to visit - thanks for sharing!

5. d70john

d70john Guest

great pic most amazing

6. MariaVoniati

MariaVoniati Guest

it looks great. it must be a wonderful place to visit. that is the feeling i get from ur pic.

thanks

7. Joe -

Nice shot from one of my favorite places! I was there last year at about this same time and fell in love with the canyon. Looks like you were there at the perfect time...

Please post more when you can. I can never see too much from AC.

8. Very cool shot Joe, much better people to share here than on dpreview, sorry that guy flamed you over there seemed liek a personal grudge to me

9. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Great shot Joe!

I must get there soon. Is it a long hike to reach this area?

Jack

10. Joe,

This is just awesome.

The atmosphere is not from this world - I really do love your picture.

Thanks for sharing.

11. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Thanks to you all for commenting. This wasn't my best effort from Antelope Canyon and I will post better shots today.

Access to the canyon doesn't require any hiking. You sign up either at a local tour operator in Page, AZ or go directly to the site where Navajo guides take you by truck to the canyon entrance (a 15 minute ride at most).

The challenges are many. The canyon is very dark, requires long time exposures, has "hot spots" created by light beams, has a contant stream of tourists, and has a color of light and direction of light that changes depending upon time of day. I used a WB of 7100 K but found that Cloudy WB would work as well. This was my first trip but I intend to go back and use what I learned this time to improve my results.

Joe

12. Zulu-

Zulu- Guest

very nice picture...

Maybe "The ray of light" is a proper title?